Chapter Nineteen

Haley marched angrily to her car in the pouring rain. It was a few spaces down from where she left Rooster in his own vehicle after their fight. She crossed her arms as she walked. There was no point in running, she'd be wet either way. She heard a door slam behind her. She didn't turn around, but knew it was Rooster. They were the only ones out in the lot. Probably the only ones dumb enough to be out there while a storm was coming in.

"Haley!" Rooster called, but Haley ignored him. She kept on her path to get in her car to go home. She could hear him jogging through the puddles to catch up to her. She attempted to lengthen her stride but it was difficult as hard as the wind was blowing rain in her face. "Haley Skye Seresin, would you stop." Haley jumped back as Rooster appeared in front of her after managing to catch her.

"Just running since that's all I am good for." Haley replied, sarcastically. "Move, Bradley." She attempted to go around him, but he blocked her.

"It is a big deal because," Rooster began and Haley wondered what he was talking about it.

"What?!" Haley yelled over the rain and wind.

"You said you didn't see the big deal in being open about our relationship right now. It's a big deal to me because-" Rooster paused and wiped his face with his hand. Not that it did much good, it was raining too hard.

"Get to the point, Bradshaw!" Haley threw her arms out. She was angry, cold and not in the mood to waste time.

"Because I love you!" Rooster shouted back. "And I've been in love with you since the day I first met you at the academy. When I sat down next to you, you looked me up and down and said-" Haley finished his sentence for him:

"'What the hell are you looking at Magnum P.I.?'"

It had been a joke about his mustache. She had never come across someone in her age range with one and had found it hilarious. They became friends shortly after that day. Haley looked at him, standing there in the rain after what he'd just told her. Despite how freezing the rain was, her entire body felt warm. She stepped forward to close the gap between them and leaned up to kiss him. She was still mad at him for what he said in the car, but now wasn't the time to dwell. She felt him begin to return the kiss, then he lifted her up off the ground. She wrapped her legs around his waist as they continued to kiss.

Haley pulled back slightly after a moment. "So you love me, huh?" She asked as she shivered in the rain.

"More than I can put into words, shortcake." Rooster answered, not breaking eye contact.

Haley ran her hand through his soaking wet hair. It had come down slightly on his forehead.

"I love you too, Bradshaw."

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Author Note
Thank you to everyone who has read along and voted so far! I hope you guys are enjoying! <3