Chapter Twenty-Five

After Jake and Sabrina left after the multiple truth bomb explosions, Haley had made it to the hot tub. She hadn't really cared where they went or what they did once the two of them had left. She hadn't spoken a word since everything had happened. She had, however, drank half a bottle of wine. Rooster was sitting next to her, also silent. Haley knew he was just giving her whatever space she needed. She was still trying to process everything that just happened.

"I feel stupid that I didn't realize it." Haley finally said, sitting her glass on the edge of the concrete leading up to the hot tub. She reached out and tapped the little duck thermometer that was floating by. It bobbed up and down in the water as Haley tapped it.

"You're not stupid, Hales." Rooster told her. "They hid it well. And you had no reason to suspect anything like that. It wasn't as if anyone thought they'd be compatible." Haley wasn't convinced, she still felt like she should have seen it sooner. Before it literally fell into her lap. "And for what it's worth.....I don't think they intentionally meant to hurt you. Or you find out that way." He added. Haley noted a hint of caution to his tone.

"Yeah, well it did." Haley picked up her glass again, and finished what little wine was left in it. "I've told them both to stay away from each other. He'd hurt her just like he has every other girl." Haley knew he was older now, but she still didn't trust it. She thought Sabrina deserved better, as much as Haley loved her brother. She just knew how he was and did not think that had changed over time. She wondered if maybe she was thinking too low of him in that regard, but it was hard not to given his history.

Rooster seemed like he wanted to say something but he was hesitating. Haley could tell by the expression on his face. "Spit it out." She said, though she was sure she wasn't going to like what he had to say. He didn't hesitate often with her and when he did, it was tip toeing around something.

"Don't try to drown me," Rooster began and Haley shot him a look. "We've been ultimately doing the same thing-" Haley cut him off before he could finish.

"It isn't the same!" Haley snapped and Rooster held up his hands.

"Let me finish." Rooster said, carefully. Haley crossed her arms, but let him continue. "I know it's not the exact same. I'm not his best friend you've been running around with. I get why this feels like a betrayal from both ends." He continued. "I think for sake of your relationships with them, you should at least look at it from another perspective."

"And what perspective is that?" Haley asked.

"Theirs. Think about it, you had reasons you didn't tell your brother about us, right?" Rooster answered. He waited until Haley nodded then continued. "They had reasons too. Your reaction being one-though it's justified-" Haley was about to interject until Rooster validated her response. "And maybe they did want to make sure it was serious, or whatever before telling you. Considering your previous concerns if they ever did try anything together. They're the two closest people in your life, and them getting together is a big deal. It changes the dynamic among the three of you. I'm not making excuses for them, but just pointing out it's worth thinking about. I'm not saying you have to run and forgive them right now, but at least keep it in mind." He finished.

Leave it to Rooster to be rational. Haley knew he had valid points. It wasn't identical to her choices with Rooster, but he was right. There were similarities. It felt like a bigger hit than her brother finding out about her and Rooster. These were the two people she'd known the longest in her life. Not to mention she didn't want something to happen and she feel stuck between them. "I still think this is worse than what we did." Haley stated.

"I'm not disagreeing. It sucks, and it was a shitty way to find out." Rooster said to Haley. He reached over and moved a piece of her hair that was in her face. She was quiet for a moment as she mulled over everything he had just said about considering their side in it.