Chapter Thirty-Six

Wearing in her white dress uniform, Haley entered the graduation ceremony. Despite being December, it was held outside. The weather was nice though for the time of year in California. She hadn't been able to talk to Rooster since yesterday after class, at least not about what she wanted to. They had both ended up being a little busy and had only had small talk. He had been with Maverick and she had been getting things ready for graduation. The ceremony was in the morning so there hadn't been time beforehand either, since they didn't spend the night together. Haley had gone back to her house with Sabrina.

Haley found him whenever she walked in. She'd never fully understand what it was, but something about him in a uniform always sent her heart flying. She was around uniforms all the time, but something about him specifically in it got her. "Hi," She said when they reached one another.

"Hey," Rooster said back. He looked like he wanted to say something but wasn't sure if he should. "I know now isn't the time, but are we okay?" He asked her.

Haley nodded. "Let's talk after, okay? I'm-" She cut off as Cypher and a few other admirals were beginning to round everyone up to go sit down. She looked back from them and at Rooster. She could tell he seemed relieved they were going to talk. She was about to apologize to him but that was when she got cut off.

They made their way to sit with the rest of the class. Cypher moved to the podium, about to give a speech and announce who finished first. The Top Gun trophy was up front too, but it was under a sheet. Haley suspected to cover the engravings. She really expected it to be her brother. He had led most of the time anyway. She knew she'd be happy for him, but wasn't going to deny how badly she had wanted to finish first.

Blaze was seated on the other side of Haley, seeming to appear out of thin air. "Sorry, running late." He muttered and Haley nodded.

Cypher's speech was the usual graduation type of speech. It didn't sound too different from her other graduations, but aviator terms thrown in here and there. "And with great pleasure, it is time to announce first in this year's Top Gun class. It has been no easy feat. We've had crashes," There had been more than just Haley. "Buzzing of the tower." He looked right at Haley and Blaze at that one. "And many challenges that each and every one of you have over come. Finishing as a fine group of pilots." He finished.

"Without further ado," Cypher said, clearly pausing for dramatic effect. "Congratulations to Lieutenant Haley 'Hurricane' Seresin and her Weapons Systems Officer, Lieutenant Xavier 'Blaze' Kazansky. Come up to the podium and collect your trophy." He finished.

Haley and Blaze looked at each other, neither of them expecting that. They must have really made up this last week. "Holy fuck!" Blaze said then covered his mouth, as if remembering where they were. They both jumped up and hugged, and their classmates were applauding too. Haley saw Phoenix mouth something to Jake, which she was pretty sure was obscene. She looked pleased Jake had not finished first.

Haley hugged Rooster, and he held onto her tightly. "I am so fucking proud of you." He told her. He pulled back to look at her. "Go." He added with a grin, nodding toward the podium.

    Haley and Blaze made their way to the front. He grabbed the trophy and they looked at it together. Cypher shook both of their hands, congratulating them. He gestured to the podium for them to say something.

    "I'm going to let my leading lady do the talking, she's more eloquent than I am. And less likely to start a fire," Blaze joked, which caused some laughs.

    "First off, my condolences to Hangman for his loss," Haley began and everyone laughed. Haley even saw her brother laugh at the remark. "Secondly, this experience has been incredible. We all got the chance to fly and learn among the best of the best, and not every naval aviator gets that opportunity. I am very honored to have been among this class at Top Gun." She paused for a brief moment. "These last thirteen weeks have been without a doubt the best of my life." Haley was looking at Rooster while she spoke. It sounded vague to everyone else but she knew it wouldn't him, and maybe her brother. Only because he knew what had gone on. "I will miss being here with everyone, but I am looking forward to what the future holds and whatever it takes to get there. I know that it will be pretty special." She finished with her and Blaze holding the trophy up together.

    The party commenced afterwards, which had lots of champagne and chatting. It was always interesting to see any type of teacher, in this case the instructors, loosen up some. Definitely still formal but more relaxed. She stood with Blaze and most of the class came by to congratulate them. "I wish your father could see this. He'd be proud." Cypher told Blaze who nodded with a sad smile. Haley knew he wished that too. His dad had also finished first, though he was in Haley's position, not as a WSO like Blaze.

    "I liked your speech." Rooster said as he appeared by Haley's side, pulling her away gently from Blaze and Cypher so they were standing by themselves.

    "Yeah?" Haley said, "I hoped it was clear enough. I was trying to get this guy's attention." She said, sipping her champagne.    

"Is that so?" Rooster questioned, tilting his head some. "What's he like?"

    "Very much so. You see, I overreacted and got scared. Kind of my thing. I needed a show stopping apology for freaking out." Haley replied, "Because I am really in love with him. And I wanted him to know that no matter what comes next, he's my finish line. He's pretty fantastic, though he does have a mustache." She added and she saw him grin.

    Rooster stepped closer to her as she spoke. "Well, I heard that he is very much in love with you too. And can't wait to have a future with you." He replied.

    Haley wanted to jump him right then and there. The words, the fucking white uniform, all of it. But she knew it was absolutely not the time or place. She wanted to settle for kissing him but also didn't want to do it in front of everyone. She wondered if it was too early to leave. The idea of stripping his-

    "Congratulations, little sis. I honestly cannot believe it."

    Haley turned to her brother, feeling her face heat. She was standing there having dirty thoughts about Rooster and then he shows up.

    "Everything good here?" Jake asked, his eyes flickering between the two of them.

    "We're good." Rooster answered, though he was looking at Haley when he said it. She knew they were in a good place too. "Congrats on second place by the way. The first loser." He added and Haley started laughing.

    "Everyone, attention." Cypher said, "We've had a situation, and some of you have orders right away. One of our carriers is at risk of being under attack. It contains a major amount of our fleet. Enemy is soon to be inbound, and we need a strike team to take them out and protect the carrier." He explained. He was holding several envelopes. "When your name is called, you need to leave immediately to head out to sea."

    Haley glanced at Rooster and her brother. She wondered who all had been selected for this mission. They hadn't specified how many, but he had several envelopes.

    "Phoenix, Bob." Cypher passed them two envelopes. "Rooster." Haley watched as her boyfriend took one as well. "Hurricane, Blaze." Haley reached for her own envelope, Blaze was across from her and got his. The two locked eyes before looking down at the envelope containing the orders. "Hangman." Cypher listed off the final name, passing Jake an envelope. "And on stand-by, Coyote."

    "Well that's one way to end a party." Blaze commented.