Chapter Seven

Haley lost track of time after her conversation with Rooster. Their friends had left the bar a little earlier, after Haley assured them she was going to stay to make amends with Rooster. They didn't ask questions, thankfully.

    They danced, played darts (both of them doing very well at it), and she currently found herself on his lap. At the piano bench once again, which seemed to be his favorite place at the bar. She sat there with his arms around her as he played the piano and they sang old songs together. Despite the fact it was night, Haley had put on his aviators. These were the things she had missed doing with him, and the little things that she had loved about him.

    They stayed until the bar was closing, and Penny Benjamin practically had to run them out. However, she did it in a friendly way, considering who it was she was running out. Rooster knew her fairly well, given she was dating Maverick, a father figure to Rooster. They'd had a falling out after Maverick pulled his naval academy papers, putting Rooster behind four years in his career with the Navy. Maverick had been Rooster's father's best friend, they had flown together. Haley had heard a lot about it in the academy from Rooster. They had finally made up only about two years ago, and Haley had seen the load lifted off Rooster when it had happened finally.

    Haley knew she'd had a little too much to drink by this point, but hadn't driven herself there. She'd ridden there with the others, but she'd told them to go on when they left earlier. Rooster was taking her home whenever they were ready to leave. She felt lighter than she had in a while. She sang in the car on the way home and found herself feeling disappointed when they arrived at her house. The evening had been a lot of fun and she didn't want it to end. A part of her worried that might make it not real. She knew Sabrina must be asleep, she could see that the lights were off. Rooster hopped out, walking over to the passenger side of the car. He opened the door and Haley stood up. She almost slipped but Rooster caught her, placing his hands on her hips. Haley looked down at him, she was raised a little above his head until he sat her on the ground. She dropped her hands slowly from his shoulders, down to his sides.

    Rooster pulled her closer and kissed the top of her head. "See you in the morning." He said, lingering close for a moment. Haley looked up at him with a small smile and nodded. She smiled the entire way to her front door and looked back with a glance as she headed inside. He was standing next to his Broncho, looking like someone out of an 80s movie. He waved at her as she entered the house.

    Haley jumped as a lamp came on, and she found Sabrina sitting in the chair next to it.

    "And where have you been?"

    "What are you doing up?!" Haley shouted, still feeling startled. Sabrina looked scary perched in the chair. You didn't want to be on the opposite end of a Sabrina Calloway scolding.

    "You said you'd be home three hours ago, I was worried. And I couldn't get your cell. I could at least see your location so I hoped you were fine." Sabrina answered, "Running around at all hours of the night, Haley Seresin!" She added, scolding her jokingly.

    Haley hesitated for a second and then explained the days events, leading into what happened at The Hard Deck with Rooster. She couldn't keep it to herself and trusted Sabrina more than anyone with this information. She also hoped to gather some perspective if she was making a mistake. She hadn't seen her friend all day, she'd gone to the Hard Deck almost right away after she had finished up for the day. So there was a lot to catch Sabrina up on.

    "Wow." Sabrina said, sitting back after Haley finished. "Good for you. That man is a fine specimen. Even if he thinks the porn stash is still in style."

    Haley rolled her eyes and threw a couch pillow at Sabrina, who caught it laughing. Haley had never been a major facial hair fan, but admittedly she was into it on him. "No, seriously. It's about damn time. You've only been harboring feelings for years. I told you in the beginning 'friends with benefits' never works out." Sabrina told her. Haley remembered well the warning about it.

    "Harboring feelings? That sounds like a cheesy romance novel." Haley stated with an eyebrow raise.

    "Okay in love with then." Sabrina corrected with a wave of the hand. "Just go and see what happens. I'm proud of you. And you'll have beautiful babies one day that I will happily be the wild, wine aunt to." Sabrina replied, nodding as if she had made a major decision.

    "No one is having his babies!" Haley felt her face flush, not sure why that felt embarrassing. She was sure her cheeks were red from the look of amusement coming from Sabrina.

    Sabrina laughed, "But the real question is- what are you going to tell your brother about this predicament with essentially the Vader to his Kenobi?"

    "First off, Bradley would 100% be the Kenobi in this situation. And two.....I don't know." Haley answered, "I'm an adult and it's my business. It's just Jake's opinion has always meant a lot to me, and we only have each other. And he just has such a dislike for him. And I think the feeling is mutual." She added.

    "Well, may the force be with you, young Seresin." Sabrina told her, raising both eyebrows.

Haley sighed. It was going to take a lot more than the force to handle that. "Do you think it's quick to hop into? I mean, considering.....how things ended before." She asked.

Sabrina had gotten up and returned with two glasses of water. She handed one over to Haley, who took it. "No, not necessarily. Maybe if you had just met. You've known each other what, four, five years?" She began, "And at least half of that you felt something for him? So no, not in this case. And the handful of times I've met him over the years, I've seen the way he looks at you."

Haley ran a hand through her hair. "I guess it's one of those things that seems too good to be true. Too easy." She didn't always trust things that weren't a challenge.

"Not everything has to be a contest, Haley Bug." Sabrina said, using her childhood nickname for her. "Sometimes things just work out. You know, like fate." She ducked as Haley chunked another pillow at her when she brought up fate.

"Ugh, would everyone stop saying that!" Haley groaned. She thought the whole idea of it was ridiculous. "But thanks, S." She added. She knew Sabrina was right, just see where it goes. It didn't have to be complicated or overthought.

"Yes, yes. I am a wise old owl." Sabrina said with a wink as she stood up. She started heading toward her bedroom. She paused in the doorway, turning back to look at Haley. "You deserve some happiness." She told her.