Epilogue

One Year Later
Lake Tahoe

The Christmas season in Lake Tahoe was even more spectacular than around Thanksgiving. Haley was glad to be there spending the holidays among friends and family. She had spent the last year as an instructor at Top Gun. She was one of only two female instructors in the history there. She had enjoyed it and had a lot to offer the program. She still was flying plenty, but had not been in combat.

She was helping Sabrina finish up the Christmas tree in the living room. Sabrina had completed her masters degree, which was in business. She had started a pretty successful event and wedding planning business. She and Jake had finally defined their relationship six months after being together. They were using the terms boyfriend/girlfriend now (Haley gave Jake a hard time since he'd never had an actual girlfriend), but weren't in a hurry with anything. Jake had gotten orders over the last year, he had been in and out of North Island. They made it work though and their relationship seemed good.

"That one can go back in the box."

Haley grinned, hearing Rooster behind her. She felt his arms slip around her waist. He was referring to Jake's Dallas Cowboys ornament. It was legitimately the one ornament her brother cared about having on the tree. She spun around in Rooster's arms so she was facing him.

"He'd probably smash your Eagles one," Haley told him.

The last year had not always been easy, but she and Rooster had been okay. Haley stayed in the same location with her instructor position, but Rooster had been sent off a few times. He was never gone too long, and had mostly been based out of North Island. If anything, she felt like their relationship had grown stronger. She missed him when he was away, but focused on her own work. He had been promoted to Lieutenant Commander in the last year too, which was just referred to as Commander. She thought 'Commander Bradshaw' was pretty hot.

"Damn straight I'd smash that shit." Jake said loudly as he entered the room. "I don't even know why it goes on the tree. He's not even technically family." Haley knew that was just a jab at Rooster. She couldn't believe it, but they had formed the weirdest of friendships.

"I'm not either and mine are allowed." Sabrina pointed out.

"Both of you stop before I remove all sports memorabilia from the tree." Haley warned and both of them shut up immediately.

"That's one way to silence a room." A new male voice said.

Maverick, Penny, and Penny's teenage daughter, Amelia, entered the room. Maverick and Penny had gotten married earlier in the year. Haley had wanted to make sure to invite them to spend the holidays with her and Rooster. She knew Rooster enjoyed his time with Maverick. They had been outside for a little while, enjoying the snow. Haley had realized in the last year that while she may have lost her family, she had created one with the people in that room.

"Yeah, by threatening their balls." Haley responded, which made everyone except her brother and Rooster laugh.

Jake exchanged a look with Rooster. "Hey, Bradshaw, go get the rest of the firewood." He told him. Haley wondered if Rooster was going to let Jake boss him around, but Rooster just nodded. He looked down at Haley.

"Come with me." Rooster said, dropping his arms from her waist and taking her hand instead. They grabbed their coats before heading out, and Haley slipped a beanie on her head. It was a pink one with one of the puffy balls on top. They ventured outside together.