Chapter Seventeen

Rooster's POV

    Rooster really wasn't in the mood to deal with Hangman, but he knew he had to. It was the first time he had been alone with him in quite some time. He wanted to like Hangman when he first met him, but his arrogance quickly soured Rooster. For whatever reason, Hangman had it out for him from the time they met. Maverick once compared it to his relationship with Iceman back at Top Gun, but Rooster didn't foresee a lifelong friendship coming out of his and Hangman's situation.

    "I came in with Maverick after Phoenix told me what happened. He brought me down here, lied about my connection to her to get back here." Rooster answered. This was the truth. "I was worried, we're friends." He added. That was partially the truth. He left off their history and the fact they had been dating for several weeks.

    And I've been in love with her for years.

    Hangman tilted his head as he sat down in a chair. He glanced over at Haley once then back at Rooster. "You can go, Bradshaw. I'm here now." He told Rooster.

    Rooster clenched his jaw slightly. He had two options. He could stay and argue. He could go and not be there for Haley, but cause less problems. He didn't see what difference it made if he stayed, but he suspected Hangman just wanted him gone.

    "I'd rather stay." Rooster stated, not breaking eye contact with Hangman. He sat down across from him, they were each seated on either side of the bed.

    Hangman eyed Rooster like it was a challenge. He seemed to back down though after a moment. "Fine." He conceded. Or so Rooster thought.

    "Must have been quite a scare. I heard a rumor this was the same type of accident that took out your old man. Is that why you fly like a-" Hangman began, but Rooster was on his feet before Hangman could even finish the sentence.

    "You son of a bitch!" Rooster shouted, raising his voice more than he intended to. Especially given where they were and why they were there.

    "What's going on?" Haley asked, her voice breaking up the two of them. Both of them stopped the bickering and looked down at her. She looked surprised to see the two of them together.

    Rooster felt himself calm back down at the sight of her awake. He still wanted to throat punch Hangman but that could wait for another day. He looked at her. "We're at the hospital. Do you remember what happened?" He asked her, ignoring Hangman's presence. He was a lot to deal with.

    "Yeah....we went into jet wash. Lost the engine....oh my God, Xavier? Is he okay?" Haley attempted to sit up a little further, but Rooster pushed her back down gently. When he looked up he saw Hangman watching him closely.

    "I assume he's fine. I haven't heard otherwise. And he was awake when they picked you two up." Hangman answered. "We'd probably know by now if he was killed so," He added with a shrug.

    "Not helping, dick." Rooster snapped.

    Haley shook her head. "It's fine," She said, letting her brother's comment slide. "When can I leave? And be cleared to fly?" She was starting to spit out rapid fire questions. She looked a little panicked, probably wondering if something would prevent her from flying again. Rooster wanted to take her hand, but he knew he couldn't with Hangman there. He was started to get tired of the hiding their relationship. He had been patient and understood where Haley was coming from, but times like this it was frustrating.

    "They said tomorrow, and I don't know. I'm assuming a few days." Hangman answered. "They said you were fine, probably got overheated."

    Rooster noticed a subtle shift in Hangman's voice when he was talking to Haley. It was almost gentler. This was a side of him that he had not seen before. He supposed that was what Haley saw, and Rooster suspected she was the only one. He didn't want to leave, but felt like he should give them a little space. "I'm going to go see if I can find Mav. He went to call Xavier's parents to let them know what happened." Rooster looked down at Haley. He thought he saw a flicker of disappointment on her face but then she glanced briefly at her brother.

    "Are you coming back?" Haley questioned.

    Rooster hesitated for a moment. He wanted to, but he knew with Hangman there it probably wasn't likely. "Mav told a bit of a white lie to get me in, so probably best I don't overstay that pass." He answered.

    "Family only. Apparently said he was your husband. That's a horrid scenario." Hangman added, explaining what the lie had been.

    "That wouldn't be so bad." Haley mumbled, sitting back into her pillow.

    "What the hell kind of meds do they have you on?" Hangman asked. He obviously thought she was doped up on something to say that, but Rooster knew they didn't have her on any pain meds. At least Dr. Evans didn't mention any. He almost thought for a second too she'd have to be to say that in front of Hangman.

    "Bye Hales," Rooster turned to leave the room. He was surprised to feel a hand on his back before he made it fully out the door. He turned around to find Hangman standing there.

    "This peace offering expires tomorrow." Hangman began, and Rooster wondered what the hell he was talking about. "Thank you for getting here so fast to check on her." He finished.

    Rooster nodded then turned to leave. It was strange hearing a thank you from Hangman, but Rooster knew one thing. It had been sincere.