Chapter Twenty-Nine

The next morning, Haley found herself at her favorite cafe. It felt cozy and comfortable, especially with the fall treats on the menu. What felt not as cozy and uncomfortable was the situation. She had been the one to initiate though, so she had to follow through. Haley knew it was time.

    "Do you want me to start?" Sabrina asked, seated across from Haley at the table. It was just the two of them. Haley had gotten there first so she had already ordered coffee. Knowing her best friend as well as she did, she had Sabrina's favorite coffee waiting for her too. A peace offering in the form of a salted caramel latte. Haley nodded for Sabrina to go ahead.

    "I'm sorry I didn't tell you what was going on." Sabrina began, "I honestly didn't know what we were doing. We started hanging out some. You know how it's always been, we mess with one another. Then one thing began to lead to another....and it was fun. I don't think you and I really see it often, but he has grown up. And God the sex was good-"

    Haley covered her ears. "I'm pulling the twin sister card, sex is off the table for discussion." She told Sabrina, not wanting to know any of those details. She took her hands down and picked up her coffee mug. "You may continue a censored version."

    Sabrina made a face. "Sorry, H. I forgot. I'm used to us being able to talk about guys. This is different though," She replied, and Haley nodded in agreement. "I enjoyed spending time with him and it was mutual. I didn't really see him as your asshole brother anymore. He still is that but I like being with him. We both wanted to tell you, but we also hadn't labeled anything. And still haven't, besides we like spending time together, and aren't seeing anyone else." She explained. Sabrina seemed to be speaking very carefully and watching Haley's expression closely.

    "We can still talk about it....just not your sex life if it's with him." Haley said slowly. She knew that was giving the implication if they continued to see each other. "When did it start?" She asked.

    "Not long after you and Rooster. It's not as serious.....but I like him. And spending time with him." Sabrina answered Haley. "I love you, you are the sister I never had. And if this is too weird for you then I-" Haley stopped Sabrina before she could finish.

    Haley shook her head. "No, we're not going there. If.....Jake makes you happy then I will be okay with this. It's just weird and will take some adjusting." She said, "But I want to be okay with it. For you. And him I guess, but mostly you." She added, partially joking.

    Sabrina gave Haley a faint smile, in which Haley returned. "What about the pregnancy scare?" Haley asked, "I wish you could have talked to me then. I can't imagine being alone during that."

    Sabrina bit her lip. "I almost talked to you. But I knew you'd want details, and I didn't feel comfortable lying to your face. Which I know I was, but not telling you about Jake was more....just leaving out details." She replied, "I was late, which was odd. So I did a test and saw the doctor, but it was a false positive. Everything is fine, just happens. Doesn't mean it wasn't scary as shit, though." She added. Sabrina took a sip of her coffee then looked back over at Haley. "Probably would have stayed under wraps if you hadn't dumpster dived." Haley could tell by her tone she was joking.

    "Hey, it was a trash can, not a dumpster. And secondly, my phone fell in there. I wasn't digging through it like a raccoon on purpose." Haley said in her own defense. "Was.....was Jake upset you didn't say anything?" She inquired. It felt weird asking something like that. She'd caught on that night Sabrina hadn't said anything to him.

    "A little. More for the reason you were just expressing, me dealing with it by myself. When obviously he was involved." Sabrina answered. "We talked for a while after we left you that night. He's taken it hard, you finding out the way you did about everything. I did too. I was relieved you wanted to talk."