Chapter Twenty

After what was what Haley considered the most epic movie moment of her life, she and Rooster drove back to her house. They both ran inside, soaking wet. The house was empty as she'd expected it to be since Sabrina was "studying" or whatever she was up to these days. Another thing Haley knew she'd have to face eventually. She just couldn't shake the feeling her best friend was hiding something.

    Haley couldn't stop shivering as she took off her soaked flight suit and the clothes underneath it. She and Rooster were in the bathroom, Haley had locked the door behind them. She heard him turn the shower on. She left their wet clothes in a pile in the floor and would deal with them after they warmed up. Which wasn't the only thing they did in the shower. Haley felt a little guilty since Sabrina used that shower too, but she didn't have to know. After finally drying off, both of them were dressed and sitting on the couch. Rooster had a few pairs of clothes left in Haley's room for when he stayed over, so thankfully he'd had something to change into.

    "I'll talk to Jake," Haley told Rooster. She was cupping a mug of hot tea and sitting underneath a blanket next to him on the couch. "Just give me a little bit of time to decide when and what I want to say." She had just finished explaining the real reason she'd been hesitant about disclosing their relationship. The part about feeling like she was moving on with her life without him. Rooster seemed to understand.

    "I don't think I realized that was the real reason until today." Haley admitted truthfully. "Being with you feels more serious to me. I'm not planning to run away and marry you tomorrow, obviously. I don't mean that. I just feel like it hit me that I am starting to look at things for my future. Even with the Navy, there are things I'm interested in career-wise that I know he isn't. So all kinds of things that will take us in different directions. And it feels strange and I worry about him being alone sometimes. He doesn't make friends, as you've seen, he's never had any kind of serious relationship." Haley explained further. As far as the seriousness with Rooster, she meant that she felt different about him than other relationships. She could see it being more stable and longer term if things went well. It felt right. Which was positive considering how long they'd both wanted this.

    "You did sort of say in the hospital you'd marry me." Rooster teased. He laughed when Haley rolled her eyes at being reminded of her comment she made.

    "Maybe one day, Bradshaw." Haley said with a wink after she'd rolled her eyes at him.

     "But I had wondered. It felt like there was probably an underlying reason you didn't want to tell him besides the fact he hates me." Rooster added more seriously. "I just didn't want to push it. Not until today I suppose."

    Haley took a few sips of her tea. "Like I said, I don't think I even knew. He really changed after our parents died, the way he closed himself off. He's always been a little obnoxious, out-going, all of that. His personality didn't change. He just....doesn't let people in anymore. I've tried to stick with him over our time in the Navy as much as possible." She took another sip of her tea and adjusted the blanket. She felt Rooster's arm slip around her. "So you were right, I have made choices because of him. Just not totally consciously. And I know that I can't always. I want different things from him and it's scary to think about leaving him alone."

    "It's understandable. I don't have a sibling but I know what it's like to not have your parents." Rooster told Haley. "I'm sorry for how I handled it, and I shouldn't have made the comment about you running away. I appreciate you being willing to finally tell him. And if he's an asshole about it, I'll deal with him." He grinned as if nothing would bring him more joy.

    Haley nodded. "Just give me a bit to figure out how I want to."

    Rooster nodded in agreement. Haley was glad they had finally put this to rest. She knew she wouldn't be pipping up tomorrow, but she was going to. They probably weren't making a public announcement of it, Haley didn't think that was a good idea while they were trying to graduate.

    "We can always elope and he finds out that way." Rooster joked.

    Haley thumped his chest with the back of her hand. "Would you let it go? I was in a plane crash. I didn't know what I was talking about."

    "You weren't in a crash, you technically ejected." Rooster corrected.

    "Whatever." Haley mumbled as she scooted closer to him, still trying to warm up. She felt much better than when they had first gotten back to the house though. She'd have to take her car back home tomorrow, it was still at the base. She leaned forward and sat her mug on the coffee table before sitting back against Rooster. She slowly felt herself start to doze off. The last thing she remembered before falling asleep was Rooster carrying her to bed.