Chapter Nine

Two weeks had passed since Haley and Rooster's conversation about their relationship status. During that two weeks, between training, they had been out on several dates. They hung occasionally with other team members, but still kept their relationship under wraps. They had yet to spend the night together, but it wasn't for lack of trying on Haley's part. It was Rooster insisting they wait.

"It isn't like we haven't slept together before." Haley said as they were walking up to the hanger for their training. "And it's not the 1900s, you don't have to court me, put a ring on it-" She cut off as Rooster just laughed beside her. "I'm being serious, Bradley!" She shoved him a little and he didn't even move. "I appreciate the respect, but come on. You're killing me, smalls!" She went to push him again jokingly, and he grabbed her hand first.

"Good try, shortcake." Rooster said, lacing their fingers together. It wouldn't last long since they were on base, but no one else was around at the moment. He stopped walking and turned to look down at her. "Believe me, I want to." He told her, "But I want to take this seriously. It isn't just about the sex." That had been the deal before, though they had both had feelings that went unspoken until now.

Haley nodded. "I know it isn't. And maybe if it hadn't been last time, we'd have figured things out sooner." She replied, "When you're ready to rip off your chastity belt, Bradshaw, please give your girlfriend a call." At this, Rooster laughed. He glanced around and pulled her to him. He kissed her on the lips, and Haley leaned up into it. Their height difference was tricky sometimes, but he always seemed to make her fit. She wrapped her arms around his waist, just as someone cleared their throat.

Haley and Rooster broke apart, though he kept one hand on her waist. They both turned to find Phoenix and Bob standing there. Bob seemed a little stunned and Phoenix seemed amused. "Do you recall this in the training manuals, Bob?" Phoenix asked her WSO. Bob just adjusted his glasses awkwardly. "No, can't say I do." He answered.

"This isn't-" Haley began, but Phoenix put a hand up.

"We don't care. We're messing with you. What you do in your spare time, it's your business. As long as it doesn't affect the team or any missions." Phoenix told her, and Bob nodded in agreement. Haley knew if anyone would kept a secret, it would be the two of them. They were both very respectable and Haley had liked them.

"It isn't going to." Rooster said, and dropped his hand from Haley's waist. Some of the others from the team were beginning to show up, heading toward the hanger. "And keep this to yourselves. Obviously we haven't told anyone." He added.

"Wait, so Bagman doesn't know?" Phoenix asked then laughed. "I will pay to be there when that information is no longer classified." Haley didn't find it to be as amusing, mostly because she felt deceptive not telling Jake. But she knew right now that was for the best. They were still training and no one needed any distractions. Selfishly that wasn't the only reason.

"No, and I'd like to keep it that way." Haley answered, "Come on, we better get inside." She added after a glance at her watch. The four of them headed up to the hanger and took their seats. Today, Blaze slid in next to Haley before Rooster could. Haley thought nothing of it, but she did see a look of annoyance flash across Rooster's face.

They were prepped on the days exercise, which had to do with dropping bombs on a package. She was flying with her brother for this one. They were waiting on the first group to go and listening over the radio. Flying currently was Rooster, Fanboy and Payback.

"Bradshaw slowing it down as usual." Jake commented, shaking his head. "Never takes the shot, just sits up on that perch." Coyote snickered at the remarks next to Jake.

"At least he doesn't leave his team hanging." Haley told her brother, which caused an "ooooh" from a few of the others. She could tell by the radio chatter the first team was coming back in. "Maybe you could learn something about working with others for once."

Jake turned to look at his sister. He looked amused almost at the challenge. "You don't need a team when you're the best. Something you'd know if you had placed above me lately." He shot back. Sometimes Haley hated his smug grin. She knew she was capable of it too, but it was annoying when it was being mirrored back.

Haley had passed him in training before, but lately he had been the top of their class. "I should have done the world a favor and eaten you in the womb." The rest of their teammates burst into laughter and for once Jake seemed too stunned to speak. She shot back the same smug grin.

"Might be top of the class now if you did." Jake sat back in his chair, eyes on his sister. Haley didn't let her annoyance show. They had always constantly pushed one another to do better. Their competitive sides came out in full force in everything they had ever done. Especially when it came to the Navy.

By this point, they were being called out to go on their exercise. "Come on, Blaze." Haley said as she headed out to climb into the jet.

Up in the air, the bickering between the two siblings continued. Haley knew they shouldn't be, they could risk getting pulled. There wasn't much working together, as usual Jake left them. Haley and Blaze attempted to drop their missile, but their laser wasn't working properly. The entire exercise had been a cluster fuck. If Jake hadn't gone off to serve himself, they might have been able to complete it successfully. Haley was frustrated. She had been distracted with bickering with her brother, his lack of cooperation as a team, and the total fail of the exercise. By the end of the day, Haley felt exhausted and a little discouraged. She was glad it was the weekend. She also knew their lack of gaining points affected Jake, he'd be docked on his lack of teamwork.

"A few of us are going bowling, want to come, Hurricane?" Phoenix asked as they were leaving. "Bob, Blaze, Fanboy, Payback, and the boyfriend if you want to ask him. Or whatever you're calling him."

Haley thought about it for a moment. She could use the outing, and it was something different for a change. Bars got old every weekend. There wasn't a lot to do in town, so activities were limited. She waved Rooster over when she saw him heading out. She asked him about the bowling invitation.

"Sure, if they're prepared for an ass kicking." Rooster answered with a grin.

The time and location were set, and Haley was looking forward to it.