Chapter Twenty-Six

Only two days had passed since 'Seresin-gate', as Haley had coined it, happened. Haley had moved what she needed over to Rooster's. She made it very clear she was a guest, and not moving in with him. She didn't want to feel like she was pushing their relationship forward fast. Rooster knew that, but Haley didn't want him to think there had been ulterior motives to staying with him. She knew their relationship had moved quickly already, and seriously, but they both knew they'd felt this way for a while. Nonetheless, Haley didn't want to feel like she'd invited herself to move in.

    It was a Sunday evening, which meant back to class the next day. Sabrina and Jake had both texted her a few times over the last two days. Neither of which Haley had replied to, she just wasn't ready. She'd done a lot of thinking over what had happened the last two days. She could understand where they were coming from, she really did. Haley just needed a little time. She was dressed in a thin, black sweater and jeans. She was heading out to meet Blaze for dinner while Rooster ran an errand. They'd pretty much stayed camped at his place since the incident and Haley wanted out for a little while. Blaze had invited her to dinner and had mentioned that he wanted to talk about something with her. She welcomed the distraction.

Blaze sat back after Haley finished telling him about what had happened Friday night. "Holy shit." He finally said. "I guess that's one way to get secrets out." He picked up his water and took a sip. "And you had no clue?"

Haley hadn't told anyone else about it until now, though there hadn't been anyone to tell. "No shit." She answered. "Of course I didn't. I guess looking now at it some things sort of add up." She added. She'd found herself going over the last few months looking for signs. Rooster had told her it wasn't worth it to comb back over the facts, it didn't change anything. Once again she knew he was right.

Blaze held up his hands in defeat. "Okay, okay. No idea." He said, "Do you think you're going to forgive them? You could just give each other a free pass. You lied to your brother, he lied to you." He shrugged, "Not sure my sister would go for that if we were in that position, but hey."

"Yeah. I just need some time and space. And I know I owe him an apology too." Haley answered. They'd just finished eating and she put her napkin beside her plate. "So what did you want to tell me? Since I've spilled all the Seresin drama now. You go above and beyond as my WSO listening to it, by the way." She was partially joking, but he really was a good friend. She felt loads better since they'd cleared the air a few months back about how he'd felt about her. Blaze seemed to be in a good place too.

Blaze's demeanor changed some when she asked about why they had met up for dinner. He had a faint smile about what she said after. He sighed. "My dad is sick again. The cancer came back." He told Haley. His blue eyes flickered up at her, then they shifted down as he played with his fork. "The doctors said there isn't anything else they can do."

Haley felt the color drain from her face. That was something she did not expect him to say. She moved over to sit next to him in the booth. "I'm so sorry, Xavier." She said. She knew words wouldn't change anything or make it better. She took his hand in hers. She honestly didn't know what to say. She just saw someone she cared a lot about hurting in front of her. "Did they....say how long?" She asked quietly.

Blaze shook his head. "Not exactly. I don't think it'll be long though. They weren't exactly optimistic." He answered. "I've been spending any free time there, as much as I can. My mom told Maverick a little earlier this evening."

"I feel like an idiot for telling you about all my shit now." Haley told him. That all seemed meaningless compared to what he was dealing with. She felt him squeeze her hand.

"Absolutely not. That was the best distraction I could have ever asked for. Some Real Housewives shit. I'm sorry it happened but I enjoyed the retelling." Blaze said with a small hint of a smile. "I don't know who else my parents have told, so don't say anything. You can tell Rooster, I am sure Maverick will anyway. I don't know who they'll be planning to move into his position as commander. But....obviously when the time comes people will know."