Chapter Thirty-Seven

The Pacific Ocean

Just about 24 hours later, the six pilots called for duty were board the carrier taking them out to sea, almost at the destination. They were preparing to embark upon the mission they were called for. There had been a briefing that morning on what to expect. The US carrier that was at risk had a mechanical issue and ended up in enemy water without defense. The enemy was inbound to take it out, and the goal was to protect the carrier and remove any bandits.

They were warned by Cyper and Cyclone that this could get dangerous, there was a chance of dog fighting, which was a challenge against 5th generation fighters. That was the anticipated top of the line fighter, one that the Navy had never seen before. Their F/A-18s were not much against these machines. Jake looked thrilled by the excitement of it all, Haley had noticed during the briefing. Phoenix, Bob and Blaze were harder to read and Haley honestly thought Rooster looked sick. He was sweating and not saying anything.

Haley felt ready, but also a little anxious knowing both her brother and boyfriend were going on this mission. She had to let go of that, she couldn't worry about them the entire time. That was just part of it. She knew that when she entered a relationship with Rooster. Her brother, they had both made the choice to join the Navy. They were dismissed to get ready to board their jets. Having completed the class first, Haley had been elected team leader.

Haley made her way to the top of the carrier where things were underway for the pilots to depart. Blaze was by their F/A-18 getting ready. "I'll be right back." She told him. She walked over to where her brother was next to her jet at his own. When he saw her, he turned around and saluted her. She knew it was done sarcastically, no one was around. He didn't have to address her formally.

"Yes, Supreme Leader Lieutenant Seresin?" Jake asked.

Haley gave him a look. "Drop the act." She told him and he looked at her a little more seriously. "Good luck." Haley said and Jake nodded. They'd never expect one another to half ass a mission, but this was her way of saying she cared. Neither of them were good at expressing concern before things like this.

"Give 'em hell, team leader." Jake responded. He climbed up into his jet as they were about to be taking off. She watched him slip on his helmet. It always was comical to her seeing the "H_NGM_N" on the front.

Haley hurried to get back to her jet but not without making one more stop. She could hear engines starting to fire up and knew she didn't have much time. "Rooster!" She said over the sound of the engines. He didn't hear her at first and she jogged closer. "Bradley!"

Rooster turned around, he was already almost up into his jet. He hopped back down. He didn't look any better than he had in the briefing room below deck.

"Are you okay?" Haley asked, "This is nothing. We've got it." She told him. She knew she couldn't guarantee that, but they had been training for things like this. They wouldn't be there, or have been at Top Gun, if they weren't good enough.

"Please don't do anything reckless, okay?" Rooster said, "Just be careful."

Haley realized he was worried about her, and probably nervous about the mission. It wasn't exactly a walk in the park. They hadn't known about the 5th generation fighters until that morning. She was about to say something back to him but they were being called for final checks. "I'll be fine." She told him and he nodded. We're coming back to each other.

Rooster nodded and resumed getting into his jet. Haley departed to do the same. She put her helmet on and her mask. Blaze lowered the canopy above them, closing them inside. They were deploying first from the carrier and moved for take off. "Dagger one, ready for take off." Haley said as they got into formation. They were given the go-ahead and took off down the runway. They lifted off into the air.

"Dagger two, ready for take off." Rooster's voice came over the radio.

"Dagger three, ready for take off." Phoenix next.

"Dagger four, ready for take off." Jake last.

The group of four began their journey to the mission site, flying in the dagger formation, waiting to see what lurks ahead for them.

"Into the danger zone we go." Blaze commented from behind Haley.