Chapter Three

As the sun set, Haley stared out at the water. She felt frustrated with herself that she had let the appearance of Rooster fluster her the way it had. She was a fucking Seresin. Nothing got to them. Especially not a guy. She took a sip of her drink while she sat in thought. She knew she was partially at fault for the awkwardness she felt. She suspected at the end of the summer that he might have been about to discuss an actual relationship, and she freaked. It was what she had wanted, but the idea had been terrifying. She'd had regrets, but she wasn't about to admit she had been scared. Then he ended up overseas and they didn't have contact until now.

    Haley had often wondered what would have happened if she had stayed and listened to what he'd had to say. It had been one of those times where you knew when someone was about to bring up a particular topic. Before he had even gotten many words out, Haley had told him that she couldn't do any of this anymore. She used him going overseas as an excuse, as well as their arrangement being temporary, but they both knew that wasn't the case. She hadn't forgotten the look on his face.

"Your call sign should be Ghost, you know."

Haley jumped, not expecting anyone out there. It pulled her out of her memories of the past. She looked up to see Rooster sitting down beside her. She winced slightly, knowing what that meant.

"I do love Halloween," Haley deflected. "This is how I find out your state side?" Haley asked, also recognizing he'd become somewhat of a ghost too over the last year.

"I haven't been back long."

The two sat in silence for a few moments. Haley had thought about this for a while, what she would say. She was at a loss for words now that the moment was here. She glanced over at him as he looked back at her. She debated whether to apologize or act like nothing happened. The latter didn't really seem feasible.

"I'm sorry about last summer. We agreed, and it was what it was. Anything further could have blown our friendship, but it appears I did that myself." Haley said, quietly. Their friendship had always been a little complicated, considering the closest person to her couldn't stand Rooster. Despite that, they'd remained friends during the Naval Academy. Jake seemed to tolerate it, but did make comments occasionally. "I let things get weird and I shouldn't have blown you off." She added. She didn't feel like she could explain why though. At least not right now. "I don't have regrets about any of it though. And that's a risk you run with sleeping with one of your best friends, that it can get weird." She knew the reason it got weird wasn't because they were friends, but because of how she felt. Haley had suspected he'd felt the same way, and that's when she bolted out of fear. Which was a paradox. She pulled a piece of blonde hair behind her ear. "If you'll have it, I'd like to try to be friends again."

Rooster shook his head. "You didn't blow anything. And for the record, I don't regret it either." He ran a hand through his hair. He looked like he wanted to say something else, but hesitated. "Friends." He said, nodding. "I've missed you. And how it pisses off Hangman that we're friends." He added, with a grin.

Haley laughed at this. "Not much rattles him, but it definitely gets under his skin." She said, "Imagine if he knew-" She broke off, not wanting to go there. That after all was the elephant in the room they were attempting to work around. Their summer fling. That she had been in love with Bradley Bradshaw- not that Rooster knew this either.

"That we hooked up? A lot?" Rooster replied, laughing as he drank his beer.

"Bradley!" Haley looked around, but it wasn't like Jake was anywhere near them. There were just some things she didn't want him to know. Both because it was her brother and she didn't really care to hear his opinion. In fact, she looked up to see Jake leaving in her car. "That asshole!"

"What? Oh-" Rooster saw what was happening. "Well, Hangman's done it again." Left someone out to dry.

If Haley hadn't been so pissed at her twin, she may have laughed. He really was Hangman. She finished the rest of her drink then stood up, brushing sand from her legs. "I need to see what time Sabrina gets off to get me home." She said, "Thanks for....clearing the air. I missed you too." As clear as it could be for now, she supposed.

Rooster hopped up from the sand, shaking his head. "Don't be ridiculous. I'll give you a ride." He took her empty glass from her and started walking back up toward The Hard Deck. "We're good. Promise." He added, responding to her other comment.

Haley followed behind, feeling the pressure from earlier lifted. She watched him walk ahead of her, wishing she could shake the other feeling. The one where she knew she still felt something for him. She felt relieved there had not been a big deal made of what had happened, but she felt like something was still left unsaid between them. He could hold a grudge, she knew this from one he held for a few years. Not against her, but someone who had been a father figure to him. Haley had to trust he was being honest, she knew when he was holding back and did not get the feeling he was here about forgiving her.

"Hurry up, Shortcake!" She heard him call. She quickened her pace to catch up with him. He put the empty glass and beer bottle on the bar. Sabrina raised an eyebrow at the two of them together. She clearly was surprised to see that, and Haley had to admit that she was too. She thought it would be a lot harder speaking again.

"I saw dipshit leave in your car." Sabrina said, referencing Jake.

"It's fine." Haley said, with a shrug. "Bradley is going to give me a ride." She added. She saw Sabrina scan over her, knowing that look was "we'll talk later". Haley whirled to leave before Sabrina had the chance to say anything. She left the bar with Rooster, heading out to his familiar blue, 1966 Ford Bronco. He grabbed the door for her on the passenger side. "Thanks." She climbed up into it as he shut the door. She looked over as he got into the driver's seat. She gave him the address of the house she was staying in, one that she was sharing with Sabrina.

"FYI, Jake is renting the house next door with Coyote." Haley told him.

"Next door? What is he, your secret service?" Rooster replied, snorting.

"I know, I know. Believe me, growing up with him everywhere and now having him here is exhausting. But we do just have each other. He looks out for me, and I do the same. Just not as obvious." Like Rooster, Haley had lost both of her parents. They had passed in car accident about five years before. It really was just her and Jake now. The two had always been close, but more so after losing their parents.

After a few minutes, the car slowed to a stop as they reached her house. She unbuckled her seat belt and put her hand on the door handle. "Night, Bradshaw. Thanks for the ride."

Haley was about to get out when she felt Rooster grab her arm gently, his hand lingering for a moment. "See you tomorrow, Seresin." He said back. She climbed out of the car.

He waited until she was inside before he drove off. Haley sat back against her closed front door and thought to herself: I am so fucked.