Chapter Four

The next morning came bright and early. Haley was up and dressed in her flight suit. She pulled her hair up into a bun before getting ready to head out. She was eager to get started with her training. She looked at herself in the mirror, reading her patch.

Lt. Haley 'Hurricane' Seresin.

Hurricane came from the way Haley flew. Often reckless and a little dangerous. She was a good pilot, but similar to her brother, she tended to take things a little too far. It wasn't long before she became known as Hurricane Haley. There were definitely worse callsigns to have.

Upon arriving at the hanger, she took a seat at a table by herself. She noticed it was mostly the aviators sitting by themselves or the ones who had a WSO were with them. She looked next to her and saw Rooster fill the seat next to her. "Hey," She said, still sort of surprised to see him. As stereotypical as it was, he looked good in his flight suit. She tried not to think about it. He could probably wear a trash bag and be attractive.

"Perching by my sister, Bradshaw?" Jake asked from across the room.

"Thought I'd sit by the Seresin who isn't going to lead anyone into an early grave," Rooster shot back, but her brother appeared not to be phased by the remark.

    "I wouldn't be so sure the way Hurricane Haley flies," Haley looked up to see a familiar face sitting down in front of the table her and Rooster were sat at. Her lips twitched up into a grin. Xavier 'Blaze' Kazansky returned the grin as he sat down. He was Haley's backseater. The two had flown together during the academy and in their squadron. His father was a bit of a legend around Top Gun, Admiral Tom 'Iceman' Kazansky, Commander of the Pacific Fleet. Most would think the callsign Blaze came from the opposite of his father's, as in fire and ice, when in reality it was because Xavier caught a kitchen on fire once at the academy.

    The class stood up as they were called to attention as Cyclone walked in, one of the Admirals. Haley figured they were about to be introduced to their instructor. It was another admiral with the callsign Cypher. Haley recognized the name but had never met him before. They were briefed on their training exercise for the day, and began to head out to their jets. Three pilots were going up at a time. Haley, Blaze and Rooster were the first group.

    "Ready for this shit?" Blaze asked with a grin, playfully bumping Haley as they headed out to their jet. She saw Rooster stiffen some at the exchange but he did not say anything. He had on his aviators so it was hard to read his expression. "I'm ready. I don't think Cypher is ready for the fucking hurricane!" Blaze had a loud personality, joked around and tended to be carefree. Haley knew he was serious when he needed to be, so she just laughed along side him. She saw Rooster push past them toward his own F/A-18.

    "This isn't a fucking joke, Kazansky." Rooster said, climbing into his jet without another word.

    Blaze didn't seem to notice or care, but Haley couldn't help but wonder what the hell his problem was.