Fourteen

Everyone looked at him in surprise while he looked deliquescently confused

"so you're not married?", asked Mahi bhai carefully.

"of course not, what are you guys talking about?", he stared at them frowning.

"its okay Rohit, we know, you don't have to lie, just tell us the truth", said Mahi bhai soothingly.

"I'm not lying, no we're not married, who told you that?"

Virat forwarded the video to him in silence.

Rohit and Ritika watched it, Rohit's ear turned red in embarrassment while Ritika burst out laughing.

"what's wrong?", asked Virat in scepticism.

"we're really not married, I just said it to shut up the aunty trying to set her up with her son", mumbled Rohit slowly.

Virat looked at him wide eyed, this was the new side of Rohit, blushing, possessive and in love.

"awe Rohit, how cute", teased Virat as he ruffled his hair.

Anushka nudged Ritika who blushed slightly.

"shut up and don't do that", he mumbled, heat crawling up his neck.

Virat burst out laughing, oh my he never knew Rohit being whipped was this fun.

Everyone sighed in relief, the tension flew up as they relaxed.

"now that is down, how did you guys meet?" he continued curiously.

Rohit looked up, his eyes locked with Ritika before a smile crept on both their faces.

Rohit was sitting on the bar stool, fingers moving on the edge of the whiskey glass as he intently stared at the substance inside.

He had heard alcohol washes away all the pain.

[though alcohol is the one who gives you pain, especially in organic chemistry, cons of being a science student, you knows if you know]

He was sitting in the calm ambience but his mind was in mess. He took a sip from the glass,  hoping the dark colored liquid will drown away all his dark and  negative thoughts.

This was his first glass and he was being careful considering his awfully low alcohol tolerance and also the fear of disappointing his best friend and Mahi bhai yet again.

He knew drowning yourself in alcohol was never the option and he had stuck to it till date.

He sighed in frustration as he pushed the half filled glass away.

Virat and Mahi bhai were trying so hard to get him open up to them, they were continuously trying to be there for him, trying to keep him away from the horrific articles published about him.

"Is Rohit's career falling down as quick as it shot up"

"bcci is reportedly dropping Sharma for the next series owing to his terrible form in the last couple of series. Board wants to give chances to the players who actually have the potential in long run.

"is this the end for Rohit Sharma, the rising cricketer?"

Rohit actually wondered if this was the end.

Was this the end of his cricket career? Something he always wanted to do, something he had always dreamed of since he was a kid.

Virat and Mahi Bhai were doing their best to try and lift his momentum and Rohit continuously felt guilty for disappointing them.

Virat had looked at him with worried eyes when he left the hotel this evening, fearing what if Rohit did something he shouldn't.

He had laughed dryly, joking about going to explore the city considering it might be his last time here as a cricketer.

He had felt his throat going dry, Virat looked as if he wanted to say something but stopped and embraced him in a fierce hug.

"just he safe", he muttered in the crook of his neck.

And Rohit knew, he could never do a thing which will break Virat, Mahi bhai and everyone associated with him.

He had to fight.

His thought process interrupted when some lady cleared her throat beside him to mark her presence.

Rohit looked up to the most beautiful hazel eyes he had ever seen.

She was frowning at him in concern which Rohit miss took for sympathy.

His blood boiled as he glared harshly at her.

But it had no effect on her.

"alcohol only makes you forget the pain temporarily but the next day when you wake up with a terrible headache and the horrible nauseous feel, you only regret it", she spoke staring at the fairy lights on front as she took a seat next to him.

Rohit stared at her in confusion, the anger vanished as he looked at the woman curiously.

"you seem to know a lot of it", Rohit scoffed a little.

"yeah because I know that feeling, when everything around you is haywire, when things don't always go the way you planned even after you have worked so hard for it", she continued before she turned to look at him.

"you know what my mother says?", she insisted.

Rohit raised his eyes, intrigued with how the conversation was flowing.

"she says, take a deep breath, stand again on square one, make a plan and act again. It may take time for things to go your way but be adamant, be fearless, don't hesitant to accept your mistakes and work on them and see how the tables turn", she stared intently at him.

Rohit froze as he realized, she knew him, she knew what he was going through.

She appeared like a guiding light in his dark, clouded sky.

Even though she was the stranger, her words peirced through his heart and gave him a new encouragement to try again harder.

He came out of his day dreaming and saw her exiting the room.

He quickly cursed under his breath, paying for his order, he ran out for her.

He didn't know why but he had to catch up with her.

"excuse me", he yelled as he ran behind her.

She turned to look at him in surprise, as he caught up with her, panting hard.

"I.....", he breathed hard.

She instantly passed him the water bottle which Rohit gulped entirely.

"I just wanted to ask your name", he said hesitantly as he rubbed the back of his neck.

She smiled at his nervous self, "why don't you try finding it yourself"

❁❁❁