𝐗𝐗𝐕 | 𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐏 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐃

"Act like you trust people, but do not"

GIANNA ROSE
I had been to a couple of mafia balls in my life. After people found out about Rowan and Sofia, my representation as a woman and being the daughter of Valentine Rostov went downhill. At this ball, Lorenzo would be announcing their engagement and although that may be his goal tonight, mine was different. Silas and Octavia-the Don of the Italian and the leader or Queen of the Bratva-and the two deadliest assassins were going to be attending tonight's ball with their son and daughter, Kaiden and Scarlet.

My goal included meeting them, that's when they would discuss plans and get answers on a couple of things. This night could either go smoothly or very badly, considering the most powerful family in the mafia will be arriving, and many of their enemies might come out tonight as well, also, I had no idea how Lorenzo would act when he saw her chatting with the Russo family. But they are the Russo family, his life is in their hands whether they are enemies or not. So, he might not be a problem.

Fredrica helped me get ready for the ball while Sofia worked on something in her notebook. I had seen it before and from what I understand, she is teaching herself coding and hacking which was something she had already started learning with Dante. She was very intelligent in that aspect, Rowan always said she may even become a hacker when she grew up. One of the best types of assassins in my opinion-I mean, they hold the secrets of the mafia in their hands-they could destroy an empire with just a single computer with fragile information.

It was definitely better than taking after Rowan in becoming an assassin, but a part of me knows becoming an assassin like her father is still an option she might take.

My gaze ran down my reflection in the mirror once I finished applying dark blood-red lipstick. The dress was a gift of Lorenzo's which I would have gladly burned but I can't lie, it was beautiful. It was red and sleeveless, the neckline held my breasts perfectly, and the waist down to my hips was tight before the rest of the dress was long and flowy with a slit on the leg. I wore nude-colored heels, and my hair was straight and tucked behind my ears-my hair had grown longer over the past year so it down reached the curve of my waist.

Fredrica smiled at me through the mirror, she gave off such a motherly persona, it almost made me feel like I was with her mother again. I found Sofia even looking at her with admiration. "You look like a princess, mommy," she said in a near whisper. That light in her was slowly fading and it caused my heart to shatter a little more. Sofia barely talked anymore, that smile not as present, and her laugh had become a sound I missed daily.

So many fucking regrets

"Sofia, don't be so down, just hang in there." I kneeled in front of her, grasping her face between my hands. "I'm really trying, baby, you are going to be out of here with your father and Uncles. Just... don't stop being my little girl, please," I begged. Tears threatened to spill from my eyes and hers. Sofia's chin trembled slightly but she masked her sadness quickly, standing up with her notebook and walking into her room. I let out a strangled breath, holding back my tears.