Chapter 5

We made our way back toward the guild.

Our teacher still had a smile on his face.

Well, I guess it's not every day you see a beast like that wyvern go down.

I glanced back at Emma, she seemed to be in a far better mood now. It was probably because she had a role in this battle.

"Still, to think we would run into a wyvern. I'll post a report to the guild. Also, Emma, I'm really surprised you have such a powerful shield. Most adventurers would fall to a direct wyvern attack like that, even with shields. Your shield is even stronger compared to the defense of some Amnesia Clansmen."

It seems that our teacher still thought Emma was a normal girl. Well, that kinda depends on what Amnesia Clansmen actually means though. Do you decide whether someone is a member or not from their stats, or from the fact that they have 'no memories', or maybe both?

"Why do the Gods buff our powers so much?"

I whispered a question to Emma.

"Most people aren't used to such dangers. Especially since those who come here are mostly unsatisfied with their previous life. If we send people like that here, they'll just die on the first day, that's why we buff your powers."

If Gods are capable of doing that, then why didn't they just come here?

I mean, leaving Earth for a while won't be that bad, right?

It's not like they never came here anyway.

"Are you saying that I'm unsatisfied with my life?"

"Yes, aren't you regretting your life when you die? Don't be a tsundere, just admit it."

Well, I guess to some extent she was right.

We soon arrived back at the guild. After parting ways with our teacher, we went to the quest board. It's still pretty early, so we decided to try a simple quest.

Confident with my abilities, I scanned the board for a low-difficulty quest that I could probably take. Thanks to Emma's shield, accidentally running into a high-level enemy won't mean instant death, although we still need to be careful, especially since that wyvern isn't supposed to be here.

"Let's try this gathering quest."

Emma points towards a quest hidden in the top left of the board.

"A bouncing watermelon quest?"

That's what the text says. The quest has a picture of what looks like a normal watermelon, although I really doubt it's a normal watermelon. There's the word 'bouncing' on its name.

I took the paper off and went to the guild lady.

"Oh, interested in your first quest, William? Gathering quests are great for new adventurers, as they don't require great skill to complete."

The name "bouncing watermelon" is really suspicious though.

"Are there any penalties if we fail?"

"That depends on the type of the quest. Gathering quests have none, as long as the item is delivered in good condition."

"Then what if the item isn't delivered in good condition?"

"You won't get paid. Also, please note that quests have what is called a quest delay time, meaning that other parties won't be able to accept the quest until a certain time has passed. In this case, the quest won't be available up until 2 hours from your departure. The less time you have, the bigger the rewards."