Chapter 18

Well, that's certainly a twist.

Am I dumb for not seeing it coming?

Nia just whipped out a bag out of nowhere, containing an item essential to our quest.

Okay, maybe not our quest, since I'm not particularly interested in this 'powerful weapon', but it's still something important.

Inside the bag was a rock slate that was similar to the piece we found. Other than that, there were several other documents with pictures on them.

"Those papers are research files from the lab that I stole. Before leaving I took whatever I thought was dangerous with me. I accidentally left them here when I was escaping from the demon's army, and only remembered about it now."

Nia explained as I examined the files one by one.

"They're not written in human language?"

"No, but thanks to defectors, there are experts who can translate them."

I examined the documents. Emma, who was holding a flashlight beside me, was also keenly looking at the documents. There were a lot of unreadable texts, with several diagrams and pictures on them. The papers looked old and dirty, but most of them were intact.

"Anyway, it's getting late. Let's head back."

Emma said as she stood up. I returned the papers into the bag and stood up. I put the second slate into my bag, joining it with the other piece.

I then took another look at the town, it really is beautiful.

"Maybe we should buy a house high in the mountains."

"That's a nice idea."

We're now in the middle of a desert, so other than the beautiful lights of the town and the stars, there's not much else to see.

But imagine a home located in the mountains. A town shines in the distance, surrounded by the cool mountain air. Birds chirping in the wild, trees shaken by the breeze.

The only issue is probably transportation, as walking down to town every day might be a pain.

We could get a carriage, though.

"Willy, what are you thinking about?"

"Ah, sorry."

Emma's words remind me of reality.

But one day I'll be rich, right? I mean most main characters are rich by the time they arrive at the end of their journey, assuming they're not dead.

"Why didn't you say anything about this before, though?"

I asked Nia as we made our way back to the inn.

"When we were returning from the guild, I saw the tower from a distance. That's when I remembered about the bag."

"I see."

The tower is small, but so is the town. While it's a faint shadow, you could still see it from the streets. A watchtower standing guard to a quiet town.

We entered the inn. It was quiet as expected.

The pink-haired girl is on the counter, once again sleeping on her job. I couldn't blame her though, it's probably really boring being on guard duty during the night. We ignored her and made our way to the penthouse.

When we arrived back on our floor, the lights were on.

"Oh hey, you're back."

I greeted the two people inside.