Chapter 17

"Aren't there any normal quests?"

The next day, we went to the guild. Other than high-level monsters, there were no quests left. Emma took a glance at me,

"No, I'm not getting chased by some random lizards."

"That's not what I was thinking about."

She said as she rerouted her attention back to the board. We just went and fought a random snake the day before, I would prefer something a bit more laid-back.

"I'm sorry, but a large group of adventurers came by and took most of the available quests."

The guild receptionist, who had just approached us, explained.

"I want an easy quest too every once in a while. We've been dealing with bosses far too often recently."

"How about this dungeon?"

Emma pointed toward a quest on the board.

"... no, I'm not in the mood for that."

"You know, it's going to be an issue if our party leader is picky about quests."

"You really need to learn something from Nia."

Nia was casually drinking her strawberry juice not far from us. Emma pouted at that comparison, as if she didn't like being compared to a half-demon.

Maybe it's a part of her training as a soldier, but Nia rarely complained about anything.

"How about an item gathering quest? Will that do?"

Well... the last gathering quest did not go well, so I'm unsure, but the receptionist showed us the quest anyway.

"This just came in a few minutes ago. It's a request for pink mushrooms."

I took a look at the quest. It seemed like a low-difficulty gathering quest, nothing weird about it.

"Why didn't the requester go pick them up themselves though?"

The pay is decent, and there were no obvious drawbacks.

"I asked the same thing, he said he was too lazy and is in the mood for some extra sleep."

Just what is wrong with this world.

"Fine, I'll try this one."

"Thank you very much."

We soon find ourselves in an oasis west of town. The weather was hot, so now I understand why the requester doesn't want to go there themselves.

"Now... where should we start..."

There's a large lake in the middle of the oasis, with several palm trees around it.

"Are you sure this is the right place?"

We looked around. Since the item we're looking for are pink mushrooms, it's supposed to stand out from the green bushes and the yellow sands of the desert.

"Is it covered by the bushes?"

Emma kneeled and started searching below the bush, she then shook her head.

"Nothing here."

Not far from us, Nia is kicking around, trying to accidentally stumble onto some mushrooms...

I'm not sure if the words 'trying' and 'accidentally' were supposed to be in the same sentence, but no luck there either.

I checked the navigator.