Chapter 9

We then went and spent some time in the forest. The original intention was to see just how powerful I became, but...

"Lightning Cut!"

"Cursed Vortex!"

"This is bad..."

We were standing in the middle of the forest.

Remember the part where I skipped low-level magic? Yeah, I regretted that. My spell pierced through the trees, hitting the unfortunate group of goblins. I instantly killed all five goblins, but there was a problem.

There's like a row of dead trees now laying on the ground.

"William is useless, and Nia is useless... Well, we're doomed."

"Hey! I don't want to hear that from you."

Emma said, teasingly. Of course, I would shot back.

I thought this was a normal game where upgrading your spells meant you were more powerful. That isn't wrong, but it's now too powerful. I have almost no control over my magic, other than the general direction I pointed it at.

My lightning would spread uncontrollably toward the direction I aim. While it isn't particularly bad when I'm in an open field against a very large enemy or a large group of small ones, it would be an issue if I had limited space.

Another problem came from my energy usage. While I have high energy, I can't control how much energy my magic uses. In most cases, my magic would be far too powerful, consuming too much energy. I could only fire a limited amount of magic before running out of energy.

"Twelve trees cut down, for five goblins..."

Nia stated exactly what happened, her voice shaking. While it's not as terrible as what Emma describes, it's still pretty bad. I create more damage to the environment compared to my enemies.

I bet those environmentalists are shaking right now, looking at this horrifying sight. I put my hands together, apologizing to the trees that became my victims

Nia on the other hand, can't deal any significant damage.

"You were really cool back then... keyword back then..."

"Please stop..."

Nia muttered as she kneeled close to the ground, covering her ears from Emma's teasing. I could understand how she felt. A high-ranking member of the demon's army, now struggles against the lowest of monsters, while at the same time being made fun of by her sworn enemy.

"Finally showing your true colors, eh?"

Hearing that, Emma turned toward me with a smirk on her face.

"Now you know how it feels to be me, right?"

This girl is really enjoying it. I can't help but feel that Nia is far more angel-like compared to Emma.

I think she's trying to take revenge on me for how she's been excluded from fights. I feel bad for Nia, though, the last couple of days have probably been terrible for her, and now I realize I can't guarantee our team will be any better.

"Oh, cut it out."

I said as I pulled Emma's hair.

"Ow, ow, ow! I'm sorry, please let go of me!"

I let go of Emma's hair, surprised her self-defense powers didn't kick in, and turned toward Nia.

"Couldn't you just be a polearm user though?"

Nia looked at me and shook her head.

"No, that staff also buffs my strengths as well. Without it, I'm nearly as weak as this foul-mouthed loli."