Prologue

Virdjana's POV

Walking from one alley to another, knowing every dead-end, familiarizing which routes are the longest, or shortest, a forté I have mastered over the years as the city's most notorious thief. If anybody would ask me, I could tell them that I do not enjoy these titles in vain, except I would not.

Arcacia city is a bustling merchant hotspot for locals and foreigners alike to compete for who is the best when it comes to hauling customers' pockets empty. Unfortunately for them, I am better at emptying people's pockets no matter what their status is.

"The streets are as busy as ever." commented my companion, Reggie, a walking lethal sniper.

"Why do you keep getting close to me? You should go to your mark." I scolded as I made my way inside a particular famous grocery store from its backdoor.

"People usually just mind their own business, and by people, I meant the wealthy. Plus, I'm not sniping anyone today." He replies with a matching shrug.

I sighed as I glanced at my partner, who was floating to my left, wearing his trademark grin. A passerby would occasionally, or at me. Sometimes, I forget that normal people can not see him. The only reason why I can communicate with him is through our enchanted necklaces. I acted normal, I believe it was like second nature to me. Easy as a pie.

I calmly walked behind the counter where a cashier looked preoccupied with a call. I prepared my dagger as a means to threaten the lady. "What lovely weather right missy?"

A glint of fear, I noticed it immediately, too bad for her I have studied everyone in this store before making it my target. "Laura Zoen, Frost Village, ability Ripples."

She flinched, and with a poor attempt, tried to cast a magic spell against me. "Ah, did nobody tell you that you move like a sloth?"

"You-! I'll call security!" Her voice was trembling and it was most obvious that she was doing her best not to shed a tear.

"It's 6 in the morning, guards in this city are too relaxed. Your boss didn't even bother to hire a single guard for this shop." I told her in a matter-of-fact tone. "Ah, I also know that the dairy products in this establishment suck, so no one walks past these isles."

There it is. The woman finally began crying without trying to challenge me. Does no one in this place have the balls to fight me, except the city guards?

"What's going on here?" A stern male voice asked from behind the Ripple user, and as soon as this Laura girl met his eyes, she seemed to have magically received the courage to talk back.

"Boss!" Laura ran behind him. "G-Get the thief!"

I spun my blade and hid it under my sleeves. I took a step back and smiled at the man she called her boss. "I was wondering what was taking you so long, Reggie."

"What?" Laura fumbled down on the floor as she watched her Boss' skin glitch away with black sparks.

In her eyes, his boss simply disintegrated into the air itself, to my eyes Reggie just stopped being visible to Laura because he had already stopped using the Mimicry spell.

"I tried talking to other people, they really can't see me V." complained my ghostly guardian, ignoring the trembling person beneath his feet.

"We already know that." I rolled my eyes, "keep her quiet."

As soon as I finished racking the cash into my cape's pockets, an annoying plea came out of the woman's mouth. "K-Kid, didn't your parents tell you that daggers are dangerous?"

"Oho?" I cracked my neck, before snapping the phone this woman was eyeing all this time into two. "You gotta act normal if you don't want this dagger in your neck," I smirked.