24. The Lie

Narcissa stared down her son as she cleared her throat, shifting in her seat. "A, are you serious? You want to marry Astoria Greengrass?" She asked with uncertainty as she eyed him cautiously.

Draco didn't put up a fight. He simply nodded. "Yes,"

"Why so suddenly? Just yesterday you were saying you would never marry her? Why-"

"I've accepted the facts, mother." Draco replied, looking up at his mother with sad, empty eyes. "This isn't a trick - there are no lies. I mean it."

Narcissa nodded slowly as she uncrossed her legs. "And you won't regret this choice? Remember, you came to me and you told me with your own mouth that you'd marry Astoria. You can't go back on your word and say I forced-"

"Mother," Draco cut in sharply with an exasperated sigh. "What exactly do you want from me? When I don't do what you want me to do, you yell at me. When I do exactly what you want me to do, you still make it seem like I'm doing something wrong!" He raised his voice, abruptly shooting out of his seat. "What do you want from me?"

Narcissa rose from her seat, apologetically nodding her head. "Yes, you're right, love. I'm sorry, I - I just wanted to make sure. You were just so adamant on marrying Hermione just yesterday, it's so strange that you changed your mind all of a sudden."

"Well, I'm glad it makes you happy." Draco spat with disgust, glaring at his mother. "Let's make a deal right now."

"What?"

"Once I marry her, you promise to leave Hermione alone. I want you to make sure you clear everything up with the reporters - make sure the whole Wizarding World knows that Hermione Granger is not what Astoria Greengrass accused her to be. But I want you to make sure Greengrass is the one to do it. Clear it all up and then leave her alone."

"Draco, I-"

"I'm holding my end of the bargain by agreeing to marry Greengrass. Now, it's your turn to hold your end of the bargain - leave her alone." He stated, stepping away from her touch. "I'll be on my way now, mother. That's all I wanted to tell you."

And then he left without another word. All Narcissa could do was stand there and take a moment to register what had happened. She let out a deep sigh, sitting back down in her seat. This was what she wanted ... but why did she feel so guilty?

--

"Hermione, it's been over a week. Step outside of your flat once in a while - you've been in here forever." Ginny said, knocking softly on her friend's bedroom door. She looked over at her husband with a sigh. "I swear, Hermione Jean Granger, I will blow this door down if you don't come out in three-"

The door opened. Ginny and Harry stepped back in surprise as they saw their friend walk out. They had expected her to come out looking like well, crap - seeing as though Hermione invited her friends inside her flat wearing a baggy shirt that reeked like a week old tuna sandwich. But no, she was dressed properly for work and her hair was in a low bun.