04. The One in a Million

---

“You did what?” Ginny Weasley yelled from across the living room as her jaw dropped wide open. She almost lost grip of her plate but quickly grasped onto it tightly before it fell. “Hermione, are you serious?”

“I just did him a favor, that’s all, Ginny. And please, don’t sound so shocked, Harry and Ron might hear.” Hermione widened her eyes with sarcasm dripping from her voice. “Could you please lower your voice?”

Ginny nodded as she ambled over to her friend holding a tray with two tea cups and a plate of cookies. “I didn’t even know Draco Malfoy was still … here.” She stated with a frown, sitting down next to her friend.

“What do mean?” Hermione asked, cocking up an eyebrow. “That’s ridiculous, where would he be? Isn’t he part of some … I don’t know, isn’t he some kind of … well, he’s here, isn’t he?”

“Hermione, you’ve got to be kidding me.” Ginny and Hermione exchanged looks but the redhead knew in an instant that her friend was absolutely clueless. “I can’t believe you didn’t know after all this time. It was all over the newspapers for quite a while.”

“I’m still extremely confounded right now. Would you care to explain things to me?”

“Draco Malfoy’s been gone for a while. It was all over The Daily Prophet that he’d gone to the muggle world for some time.”

“You’re joking.” Hermione asked with an incredulous scoff. That was ludicrous. Draco Malfoy, a stubborn pureblood, survived in the muggle world for more than an hour? No.

“I swear I told you. Draco Malfoy is a professional quidditch player - Chudley Cannons. Ring a bell? Don’t you remember long ago when my annoying brother complained on and on about how Malfoy was ruining his love for his favorite quidditch team?” The ginger sighed deeply when she caught a look of confusion still lingering on her friend’s face. “And there were a lot of newspaper articles about Malfoy and the Cannons because he was leaving so abruptly … no, you have no idea what I’m saying.” She concluded by herself, giving up.

“I feel as if I’ve been missing out on a lot of things, even though I’ve been here the whole time.”

Ginny nodded and suddenly snapped her fingers. “That’s right - you were home with your parents that whole time when the newspapers were blowing up about Malfoy’s spontaneous excursion out into the muggle world. You came back around the same time the newspapers died down. I’m surprised Ron--”

Hermione gave her friend a look but quickly shook her head. “Sorry, totally not your fault - it’s me. I just .. I’m still not used to it.”

“Sorry, I’ll just say ‘my brother’ from now on.” Ginny apologized with wide eyes. “But that’s what happened. Draco Malfoy was apparently living in the muggle world for quite some time now. I didn’t know he came back - I mean, everyone thought he was gone forever.”

“That doesn’t make sense. I would’ve seen something about his coming back here on the newspaper or something, right? I mean, it’s a big deal, isn’t it? Draco Malfoy coming back to the Wizarding World after who knows  how many months or years?”