10. The Invitation

“Well, turns out your mother didn’t want to speak to me.” Hermione informed Draco as she stood by the counter as he cooked lunch. “Astoria Greengrass actually wanted to speak to me … about you and us.”

Draco stopped cutting the avocado as he looked up at Hermione. “Astoria?” He muttered under his breath as he creased his eyebrows as if trying to put a face to the name.

“You can’t seriously not remember her.” Hermione scoffed, hoping he was just joking but the look on her face told her otherwise. “Merlin, Astoria Greengrass was the girl we saw when we had tea with your mother last week or so? We almost had your mother convinced to leave you alone and then she walked in and ruined everything? Remember now?”

“Oh, the hot one.” He snapped his fingers, nodding as he chuckled. “What did she tell you?”

“I think she tried to threaten me and I don’t know, scare me away. She was just telling me to break up with you because she’s the one who should marry you, blah, blah, blah. I set her straight.” Hermione shared comfortably as if she was talking to her best friend. She sat down on the stool, staring as he prepared dinner. “Could you make me some lunch as well? I’m quite hungry.”

Draco peered up and sighed, shaking his head. “I knew you wanted something when you came over, again.”

“Well, I wanted to tell you what happened.” She defended herself, lazily leaning against the counter. “Please? I just came back from a scary confrontation by an obsessed girl who loves you. And I had to pretend like I was in love with you and that I would never give you up, which took a lot of energy by the way.”

“Okay, fine, will you shut up if I give you food?” He asked, chuckling softly. “Okay, I’m curious. How did you set her straight? I’m curious as to how the great Hermione Granger passive aggressively fought another girl over my love.”

Hermione rolled her eyes and sighed. “Well, I made sure I rubbed some salt on her wounds and I just - I kicked arse today. That’s all you have to know, I just told her a few things that may or may not have been entirely … polite and civil. But I did what I had to do.”

“Well, good job.” He said, focusing on toasting his bread and cutting up some tomatoes.

“I didn’t ask for a compliment from you.”

“Oh, really? Seeing as though you came straight back here after your oh-so-scary-confrontation, it seemed like you wanted someone to appreciate the work you did today.”

“Well, whatever.” Hermione scoffed as she looked away from him. “But, I do have one concern.”

“What?”

“How long is this going to last? Us, lying?”

“I’m not sure, but hopefully soon because I’m getting quite sick of you barging into my house. I thought we said we’d only use it for emergencies only?”

“Okay, first of all, when I came in this morning - it was an emergency. Second, I actually knocked and you opened the door for me just now so I didn’t use your key. And third, I’m concerned about our … scheme because too many people are becoming involved. Parkinson, Greengrass, and I don’t know who else. All I’m saying is that this is getting too complication.” She expressed her feelings as she waited for his response. “Well?”