27. The Confession

They simply sat on the floor with their backs on the edge of the bed. They didn't say a word, simply just drank their sorrows and problems away. But finally, Narcissa opened her mouth after a few drinks in. "Why are you doing this, Hermione?" She asked softly, looking over at the girl beside her.

"What do you mean?" Hermione asked, staring down at her glass of firewhisky.

"After what I did to you, after what I said to you, after the way I treated you ..." Narcissa said, shooting Hermione a stare. "Why are you here offering to have a drink with me?"

Hermione took in a deep breath, gulping down the substance. "Because ... you're hurting, and you're alone, and you're pushing people away when you need them most." Hermione began, looking at her. "I know today is the day Lucius passed away. And I know that you're furious at him for leaving you behind. I know that you feel the most loneliest when this time comes around ... and Draco's defiance isn't really helping."

Narcissa's tears blurred her vision as she pressed her lips firmly together, and she looked down with a sigh.

"And I can't imagine the pain you're feeling right now ... and I'm not going to pretend like I do, because I don't." Hermione admitted with a deep sigh. "So all I can do for you ... is to be here for you. And have a drink with you because you need it."

"I don't want .... Draco to be like me. I don't want him to end up like me - like this. I don't want him to feel lonely every day of his life and .... I want the best for him, Hermione. And I know that making him marry Astoria might make him hate me, but it's something I'm willing to live with."

"Because he'll have someone ... he won't end up like you." Hermione finished as she poured herself and Narcissa another drink. "But he doesn't love her."

"I know."

"Don't you think he deserves to be with someone he loves?"

"You?" Narcissa asked, glancing over at her.

Hermione stared at Narcissa for the longest time before shaking her head. "You know, Draco does love you." She said, changing the subject. "And to be completely honest ... I know why he's been avoiding the topic of marriage. And I realize the real reason now."

"Why?"

"Because he doesn't want to leave you all alone. If he gets married, then he'll have to start living his own life and start taking care of his own family. And he knows you won't be apart of his life as much. And he's afraid to leave you because he knows how lonely you are. Don't you see? You two are trying to do what's best for each other, but it isn't really working."

"Is that what he told you?"

"He didn't have to tell me anything. From what I've learned so far about him ... he really does care for you. He doesn't want to leave you alone, Narcissa. Let him do what he wants to do. It isn't fair for him."

Narcissa gulped down the glass of firewhisky as she looked down at her hands. "I want to apologize for my behavior and actions towards you. I did things that I ... shouldn't have done. Astoria just made it seem like-"