02. The Deal

---

“Your mother did what?” Blaise Zabini asked as he shot up from his seat with surprise. “I thought you said you lied to not get married.”

“I did, I did but ..” Draco buried his face into the palm of his hands. “I didn’t think she would be so accepting of having Granger as her potential daughter-in-law. I know the war has changed us and with him gone everything is better, but … I was not expecting my mother to be so accepting. Damn, what do I do now?” He asked as he groaned at the thought of his mother’s beaming smile. “She looked so happy when I told her.”

Blaise simply laughed as he clapped his hand on the back of his friend’s shoulder. “You’ve truly outdone yourself with this lie. You dragged Granger into all of this without her even knowing. What are you going to do?”

“I don’t know.”

“Well, you better think fast since your mother wants you to bring her home as soon as possible.” Blaise laughed once more at the thought, wiping away a few tears from laughing so hard.

“I will hex you.” Draco threatened but really, he wanted to hex himself. “Well, if my mother is pleased to hear that I’m dating Hermione Granger … I’ll just have to make her hate Granger before she has the chance to tell us to get married.”

“And how will you do that? You know, a mother’s determination is one of the scariest things in the world.”

“I’m going to have to ask Granger for some help.” Draco answered with a confident smile.

“And why in the world will she help you? I know blood prejudice and all that is over but still, she hates you.” Blaise reasoned as he sat back down.

“Revenge, Zabini, revenge suits a broken heart. It’s everywhere - Granger got dumped by the Weasel King. The whole Wizarding World knows and she’s probably miserable right now. And that’s where I come in to the rescue.” He explained to his friend. “I’m going to ask her to help me keep my flat and live alone for as long as I can before my mother starts throwing girls at me to marry. In return, she’ll be able to tell people she’s dating me, which is, well outrageously lucky for her. And she’ll be able to look confident and poised without Weasel King. It’s a woman's logic, you wouldn’t understand.”

“And you understand?” Blaise asked, raising an eyebrow.

“I know women.”

“I’m not quite sure if that’s a good thing, so I’m just not going to comment on that.” Blaise stated as he shook his head. “I’ve love to stay and see you crash and burn when Granger refuses your tempting offer but Pansy wants me home tonight for dinner. Her parents are coming over.” He sighed deeply.

“I’m not sure who has it worse: you, the man who has to start meeting the family and planning for the wedding or me, the dashing bachelor who doesn’t need to care about meeting the parents. You’re the one crashing and burning, Zabini.”

“Don’t be so bitter, I’m not that unhappy. I’m happy to meet the love of my life’s parents and plan for the wedding that I am going to enjoy a lot. Marriage is not a bad thing, mate. What’s so bad about spending the rest of your life with someone you love?”