The little Things

THE LITTLE THINGS 

THE SUN illuminated the Mystic Grill in the morning summer light and amongst the coffee goers of the morning rush and parents rushing to get to work with a quick breakfast, a table close to the kitchen sat Jeffery King and his daughter Gemma, who wore a pink tutu with a yellow tank top with a button that read birthday girl.  

Jeffery sat anxiously waiting for his parents to show up, he planned to have a birthday breakfast with them for his little girl, it became a tradition between the king family, that whoever's birthday it was had to have a birthday breakfast at the grill, no matter what day it was, rain or shine, snow or freeze, if it was someone's birthday off to the grill they went. 

""Come on man, it's only a five-minute drive." Jeffery murmurs under his breath as Gemma draws a picture on the scrap of paper given to her by the staff. She uses a red crayon to fill in the mystic girl sign as she shows it to her father. 

"Thats great baby." He tells her, she grins before sliding the paper over to other side of the table where an empty chair was pulled out slightly, she grins at the chair almost as if someone sat in the chair. He scoffs irritated before pulling out his phone dialing his mother's phone number only to go to voicemail.

"Hey, Mama just calling to make sure you on your way, dont wanna order without you, call me back when you can." He hangs up placing his phone down exhaling, he knew that his parents more than likely were about to head out the door, he had to show his mom how to run her phone. 

"Daddy, do they have pancakes?" Gemma asks putting her chin in her hand, he looks at her questions, he grabs a menu looking at the options, he knew they had breakfast menu, but he couldn't seem to find it. 

"It's by the side." Gemma tells him, he looks between her and the menu to see that she was right, his brows furrow at how she was able know that knowing she always orders off the kids menu. 

"How did you know?" He asks her, she shrugs her shoulders pointing at the chair next to her. He smirks, he guessed that she somehow just knew. Jeffery knew that his daughter had an imaginary friend, she called her Tia, he guessed she was made from the princess and the frog, a movie she repeatedly watched at her mothers. 

"I'm sorry we're late, your daddy insisted on stopping by the center before coming here." A voice explains to him, he turns around seeing his mother and his father, both carrying presents for the granddaughter, Natasha hair had turned grey, and she had style into a perm. 

"Hi my little angel, Happy birthday.'' Natasha coos kissing her granddaughter's cheek, she giggles at the affection, Andres tries to move the chair next to her before he is stopped by a little arm.  

"No Grandpa, don't sit on her." Gemma says, raising her eyebrow. He looks at his son and gives him a look that says, "Go with it."  

"I'm sorry Gemma, I didn't know we had another guest." Andre apologizes he pulls out his wifes seat first as he lets her sit down first before sitting to the open chair near Gemma.  They dont see the smirk that ran across Thea's face. 

She knew that her niece only saw her as an imaginary friend, she called her Tia because she didn't know to say her real name, Thea tried to tell her how to say Theadora only for her to come out jumbled from her mouth. She didn't mind being called Tia. 

"Well, are we gonna order or what?" Andre asks opening the menu earning a playful elbow from his wife, she shakes her head at his impatience. Thea chuckles to herself. 

Even after the ups and downs of their marriage they still loved each other like they were still young, she could remember when she was young hearing her parents dancing in the kitchen, it was a slow jazz song, one you would hear at old jazz clubs. She would hear her mom's laughter all the way in bedroom, her parents were her definition of soulmates.