12. Flashback And Truth

"

"... I have been there too. And all it did was bring me pain ..."

*・゚✧*:・゚✧・゚: *✧・* 

The class was about to end in 5 minutes but Kakashi sensei was already done with today's lecture. So, he was just sitting down with his nose deep in the book he always keeps reading, except when giving lectures.

"Hello, my dear friends! This is Akako Hime, Vice-President of KHBC. Please be quietly seated and turn on the TV as Miss. Tsunade would like to greet you all." A familiar voice came out of the speakers up on the wall.

"Ahem." Tsunade cleared her voice and adjusted herself in her office while she spoke through the tv next to the whiteboard, "Welcome back my lovely students! I hope you are enjoying your summer. I know I am a little late in greeting you but I value your positive energy and dedication to excellence in education..." 

And she started her speech which no one was interested in listening to.

"How boring..." I whined, placing my head down on the table.

I took a glance at the boy sitting next to me. His long silky hair, such unique white eyes, his rosy cheeks and his lips.. I found myself subconsciously staring at this handsome jerk. He stopped writing and turned to me. I quickly looked away all embarrassed.

"Please pay attention as I would now read the rules out for the newcomers..." She finally read the rules and ended her boring speech. 

The class was already over and sensei was long gone. I waited for Neji to leave as I was in the inner seat, next to the wall.

NEJI's POV:

"How boring." she said, putting her head on the table and I knew she was looking at me. Her gazing didn't stop as if she was studying my every feature.

I peeked at her and she quickly looked away, all flustered. I tried so hard to not laugh and then I remembered what happened earlier. I regretted being mean to her back then.

The bell rang and everyone exited the room until it were just me and her left. I just sat there like a statue trying to figure out whether or not I should apologize to her.

"Tenten, I wanted to..." I finally broke the silence, meeting her alluring brown eyes, thinking of the right words to say, "About what happened earlier I-" 

Before I could continue I was cut off by Ino.

"Hey! Tenten. What's taking you so lon- Oh-" she stopped when she saw me. "I'll wait outside if you want, Neji."

"No. It's fine. I'm leaving anyway." I quickly grabbed my books, leaving a puzzled Tenten and walked out of the room feeling Ino's gaze all over me until I was out of her sight.

♡ ♡ ♡

It was 12 in the night as I lay back in my bed, thinking about everything that happened today. Suddenly, I heard a conversation in my head from about  three years ago.

*flashback*

"It's just so unnecessary, Neji. You see.. I have been there too. And all it did was bring me pain."

"I do not understand, Uncle." I said.

"To put it in simple words, I don't want you to get involved in stupid things like love and affection and stuff." Uncle Hiashi explained.

"...."

"You can sleep around with as many women as you like when you grow up some more, but don't get attached." he continued.

"Why?" I asked.

"It's simple Neji. Because love makes us weak and vulnerable. I realized this the hard way when I lost Hinata's mother. All it will do is bring you pain and distract you from your future duties and responsibilities towards the company.""

"Don't worry about it, uncle." A younger self of me assured my uncle.

*flashback ends*

Back then, I used to be very cold and stone-hearted. Not that I'm unhappy living with my uncle or anything. I still used to miss my father, miserably. I blamed and resented my parents for leaving me like that. I just hated the idea of love.

But then I met my friends and I found myself changing. They became like a family to me and they helped me bring out a warmer side of me which I never knew existed.

But what I did today is a reminder that I haven't completely let go of my older self yet. I still think about uncle's words and how serious he looked when we had that conversation. And I still run away from those feelings.

I lost my temper in the morning, today. Maybe I was angry with myself. Maybe I got irritated with how easily I was letting myself get consumed by some feelings that I don't even understand.

"You look stressed." Sasuke spoke, his eyes fixed on the Tv.

"Oh I do?" I asked.

"Is it about Tenten?"

"It's nothing."

"Care to explain why you exploded on poor Tenten today, like that?"

"Aaaah. Shut up! I'm trying to figure something out."

"That whether you like her or not?"

"W-what?"

"Haha. I can tell by the way you act around her."

"Speak for yourself, duckbutt. You can't even figure out whether you like Sakura or not."

I smirked when I saw him go speechless.

"Anyway, I'm in real need of meditation right now." I said, getting up from my bed, heading towards the balcony.

"It's midnight, Neji."

"Whatever."

"Hn."

I opened the balcony door and leaned on the railing while looking at the cloud-free night sky. With that, I decided to just leave things the way they are between me and Tenten in the hope that these trivial feelings will pass. I don't want to play with her feelings when I couldn't even figure out what I want.

HELLO LOVELY READERS! DO NOT FORGET TO VOTE <3