Chapter 12 "RED VELVET"

(AJ's POV)

"WHAT WAS THAT?" I asked her. I was taken by surprise when she suddenly kissed me. What was she thinking? Last time I checked, she was straight.

"OKAY! I'm definitely GAY!" she quickly replied.

"What? What gay?" I was even more surprised with her answer.

"Oh... I'm sorry. I just needed to do that. I was talking with Lizzy yesterday about the possibility that I could be gay. I just need to confirm it by kissing you. Amm... 'cause straight girls could never kiss a girl, right? They would feel uncomfortable and hesitant but when I kissed you, I didn't feel any of that. So, in short, I am gay. Right?" she answered me with a question mark on her face. She is being a little defensive right now.

"So you just decided that I would be your guinea pig on this experiment of yours?" I am still not convinced with her story.

"Amm... yes! I thought it would be best that I do it with you." She told me.

"Me? Why? How about Jessie? You could definitely kiss her because as we all know, she is very fond of you." I rebutted.

"Yeah, I have thought of that as well but if I kiss Jessie, it would... ahm... "

"Would what?"

"Well you see, with Jessie, it's a different story. Obviously, she likes me. If I kiss her, she may think that I like her too. On the other hand, with you, it would be impossible for you to like me because... ahmmm... you still love your ex! Right? You are the safest person to kiss! That's all! Nothing less, nothing more! And please don't tell anyone about this okay? They wouldn't understand but if you want a bunch of girls teasing me and you... you'll just keep this between us." She smiles as if she knows that my only choice is the one she has given me.

"Alright. Fine! I'll pretend it never happened."

"Cross your heart?" she suddenly asked.

I looked at her with a serious face, "Yeah... cross my heart." I just agreed with her because she is now giving me the puppy eyes.

"Okay! Anyways, why did you invited me here?"

Oh, right! I almost forgot about that. I pointed out the small brown box with a pink ribbon tied around it on the bench where I was sitting. She turned her head and asked, "What's that?"

"Just open it."

She picked up the box and untied the ribbon. She slowly opened it. I can see the eagerness in her eyes to see what is inside. When she finally saw what's inside, her lips automatically formed a smile. Then she looked at me, waiting for something that I would say.

"It's my favorite cupcake of all time. It's a red velvet from DC Cupcakes. That is my thank you gift for yesterday and your 'coming-out' present as well." I grinned.

"Coming out? What's that?" she asked while she slowly picked up the cupcake from inside the box.

"Coming out is when you finally admit to the world or to other people that you are gay. I'm quite flattered that you chose me to be the first one to know. Now, you need to tell your parents about this great epiphany of yours." I said while raising my eyebrows.

She took a large bite of her cupcake and then suddenly she looked at me with her eyes wide open as if she realized what I have said.

"OH GOD! I need to tell Mama and my two older brothers. I'm screwed am I?"

I laughed at her reaction, mainly because the icing of the cupcake is smudged all over her mouth. I patted her back and said, "Well, it's a phase that we all have to conquer. Sooner or later they have to know and all you can do is hope that they will support and understand you. You're a big girl... You can do it!"

"But how?" she said while she placed her head on my chest.

Oh bugger, now the icing is now on my shirt.

"Amm... why don't you wipe off the icing on your mouth and we'll sit down and figure this out."

"Oh God! Sorry... Let me get that."

She reached into her pocket to get a tissue or something... I was stunned when I saw that the thing she was using to wipe off the icing on my shirt is my white handkerchief. I know it's mine 'cause my initials are embossed on the corner of the hem.

"I'm really sorry, AJ. I think I just ruined your shirt. Is it your favorite?" she asked while biting her fingernail on her index finger.

Yes, it was my favorite shirt, Kristina. Thank you for ruining it... "Amm... its fine. I could just cover it with my jacket. So why don't you sit down and I'll get us some hot beverages. Wait here, okay?"

I grabbed my jacket to cover my shirt and headed out to the nearest coffee shop. When I bought our beverages and another box of red velvet cupcake I went back to Kristina who was still sitting on the bench.

"Here's your coffee and your cupcake. I can see that you already finished your first one." I said while I sit down next to her.

"Gracias."

I looked at her and smiled. "So you're Latina."

"Yup. I will never forget the day you said you don't understand French."

"Sorry about that."

We laughed and teased each other as if we were like kids. There is something special about this girl, I just can't point it out yet. Is it the way she laughs at my jokes, or is it the way she would constantly touch me just to point out something, or simply because of her dimples? She has that vibe that would make anyone fall inlove with her from the moment they laid eyes on her. Maybe that's what happened with Jessie.

"What about you?" She asked.

"What?"

"What about you? When did you know you were gay?" she asked.

Bloody hell! I thought I was saying what was on my mind.

"I knew when I was 16 or 17. I confessed to my brother first and then later on with my parents. They were okay with it."

She smiled and took a sip of her coffee. Gosh! I can't stop looking at her. I know I said I'll pretend that kiss didn't happen... but it did. Don't get me wrong but it's not every day that you get a chance to be kissed by a beautiful girl.

"So how will I tell my friends from the café that I'm gay now?" she suddenly asked while taking a bite of her cupcake.

"Hmm... When my brother Alastair came out to his friends he organized a coming out party. We could do that if you want. It would be a surprise for them."

"Yeah that would be fun! You'll come won't you? Or are you still busy?"

"I'll be there. Don't worry I'll make time."

"That's good to know."

She keeps on smiling. I can't stop smiling too...

"So it's settled then?" I asked.

"Yep! As long as you show up."

"Come here." I placed my left hand over her shoulders then she rested her head over mine.

She then looked at me and said, "Do you want a bite?"

A took a bite and smiled at her like I've never smiled before.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Author's note:

Have you ever wondered what AJ stands for? It's just an initial of her name. Stick with me till the very end and you'll know :)