Chapter 33 "Cut and Run"

I couldn't speak... I was terrified to tell her where I've been. But I have a feeling she knew. The rain poured from the sky together with the strong wind as it brushes to the window making small thumping sounds.

Jessie glared her eyes at me making me more frightened on what's going to happen next. I took a step back accidentally closing the door behind me. I was breathing heavily... I was about to lose it.

"J-Jessie... I..." I got choked up.

A familiar feeling came back. Like it was a long lost friend who was about to shatter me into pieces.

"Don't let me ask you again. WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN??" It was the first time I heard Jessie yelled at me like that. Her eyes bolted at me with great intensity.

"I was... I was w-with AJ." I said cracking up my words.

Jessie blinked when she heard the name of AJ. She shook her head repeatedly as if she was shocked I was with her best friend.

"Y-you were with... AJ?" her voice soften. She couldn't believe it and she looked so hurt.

I bit my lip because I was about to burst into tears. Not again... I'm tired of crying... Keep your sh*t together, Kristina. Again, act natural. You did nothing wrong...

I went to the kitchen to open up the fridge.

"Are you hungry? I could fix you something..." I said casually but on the back of my mind I was still agitated. I look up and Jessie was just standing there staring blankly. I closed the fridge then forced myself to walk towards her. "Jessie?" I placed my hand on her cheek and made her look at me.

She was looking at me but it feels like she could not see me. Her eyes are so sad. Suddenly, her eyes moved and finally I could see her looking at me eye to eye.

"Kristina, why are you lying to me?" her voice is still husky.

I broke eye contact as I looked down. I couldn't answer. How should I start? My hands are getting numb, my chest feels like it's going to sink, my knees feels like it's going to fail at any time...

Jessie suddenly grab my arms with both her hands, burying her fingers deep, "Are you cheating on me? ARE YOU??"

"Jessie, stop..."

"ANSWER ME!!!!" she yelled again, now shaking me to get an answer.

"No... I'm not cheating on you. Jessie, please you're hurting me. Let go." I lied... I don't know why but apparently I did.

Jessie gritted her teeth and her eyes tearing up. She pushed me and I fell on the floor. On the spur of the heated moment I felt a slap on my face making my head turn on the impact. I was stunned and covered half of my face as I turned my head to face Jessie. I couldn't hold back the tears anymore, it started to go down. She grabbed my chin and squeezed it tightly not letting me escape.

"Then tell me what the hell is this???" she showed me a video on her phone. It was me and Joaquin kissing earlier at the restaurant. "This is why you want to take a break?? Huh?? So you could f*ck with a guy!?!"

I reached for Jessie's face but she pushed me back letting go of my chin. She threw her phone on the couch and placed her hand on her forehead. She walked back and forth stomping her feet on the floor.

I was just on the floor sobbing still touching my face. Her slap left a stinging sensation.

"WHY ARE YOU CRYING? IT'S TRUE ISN'T IT?! YOU F*CKING CHEATED ON ME??!!"

"N-no, Jessie. I-It wasn't like that at all... Please..."

"NO!!!!!! MY MOM SAW YOU WITH HIM!!!! SHE WAS AT THE RESTAURANT WHERE YOU AND THAT GUY KISSED!!!!" Jessie paused for a second. "DID HE FUCKED YOU?"

"Jessie... ple-please listen..." I can't breathe anymore... I feel weak...

Jessie came close again now this time grabbing my hair and she was holding it tightly, "TELL ME!!! DID HE FUCKED YOU???? DON'T LIE TO ME!!"

"Jessie, you're hurting me... Stop..."

BAAM! Everything was so fast because the next thing I knew I was lying on the floor head down. Jessie hit me on the on the other side of my face and I know she busted my lip because I could taste blood. My head hurts and I think its swelling. I saw Jessie coming closer. I'm afraid on what she's going to do next.

She was shouting at me and calling me names. Then she grabbed me by the waist lifting me up against the wall. Her eyes were enrage as she grabs me by the neck, I can't breathe... I was gasping for air, my tongue is sliding out as I cough. I told to myself 'This is the end. I will die tonight.'

"I LOVED YOU SO MUCH! IT HURTED ME WHEN I SAW THAT VIDEO! AND... And... and when I saw you kissing AJ under the stairs going up to the bar... I knew I-I f-forgot something..." Jessie's grip on my neck loosens and finally let's go of me as she walks away drifting into the memory. "S-so I went back... I hid myself... I couldn't... I couldn't bear the thought of you in AJ's arms... so I left..." I was looking at the doorknob so I took a side step carefully reaching for it. Suddenly, Jessie cried and I was just looking at her still afraid that she might lash out again.

I know it was my fault. It's my fault that Jessie's hurt... I deserve this. I DESERVE THIS!!!

"I'm so sorry, Jessie..." I reached for the knob and quickly opened the door to go down the stairs to escape. I gathered all my remaining strength and I just ran. I ran as fast as I could so she couldn't catch up with me. I got outside and it was still raining. My clothes are completely drenched due to the heavy rain. I saw I a cab and I immediately waved my hand to the driver signaling him to stop. I got in and he quickly took off.

"Where to, Miss?"

I know exactly where to go and I know I will be safe there. I told the driver where I was going so he made a turn. I was crying the whole time. I couldn't believe that Jessie was capable of doing that to me. The Jessie that I knew disappeared in an instant. It felt like Joaquin's words were true. I could never escape my past. I could never escape brutality from abusive hands.

I touched my lip and a stain of blood was plastered on my finger. Now I can feel the scratches, bruises are coming out as well specially on my arms where Jessie had buried her nails on my skin, I know my face has a mark as well. The cab driver was narrowing his eyes at me analyzing me from his rear view mirror. I looked away in shame. I just watched the people outside walking on the busy streets of New York. Then I said to myself, "New York, you didn't protected me." I hugged myself with my own cold arms.

I got to an apartment and I tried to be brave to knock on the door hoping someone would answer. When the door finally opened, I bursted into tears asking, "Can I please come in? I need you right now..."

TO BE CONTINUED...

Author's Note:

Hi guys, it was actually hard to write this chapter because this is really happening on our society. Battered girlfriend, battered wife, battered husband and battered children they all share one thing. They got it from abusive hands. Please guys, learn from this chapter and never use brutality when you're angry at someone or something... No hate. Just love. Learn to forgive. Stay happy and live a positive life. God bless us all. Ciao!

Love,

Ms. Lee

P.S. Thank you for the love and support. I love you all!