Chapter 37 "Break It To Me Gently"

(AJ's POV)

I was sitting on the foot of my bed looking to a message on my phone. I looked backed and Kristina was still sound asleep. A soft sheet of blanket was covering her beautiful naked body. She still looks amazing even when she sleeps. She looks so peaceful and happy while here I am feeling guilty. I looked down again on the screen of my phone, this text message made my heart felt the cold hard stab of reality.

"AJ, you're my best friend... Please help me find her. I'm really getting worried. I love her. I love her, AJ. Remember the time when you woke up and Sam was gone? Then you called me up to help you look for her... I was there, buddy. I need you right now. Please. I can't take it anymore. I want her back. I want to know if she's safe and if she already has forgiven me. I promise I will change. Please..."

I placed my hands on my head as I close my eyes. I really don't know what to do. Should I go to Jessie and tell her she's with me and help her get Kristina back or should I fight for her leaving my friendship with Jessie broken? What should I do?

My best friend... though we don't always see eye to eye, we were always there for each other. We had a long history together. I would always come to you whenever Sam and I had a fight, you would always comfort me and say we should get laid by different girls... that made me laugh all the time. You took care of my aunt while I was gone for a year, you took charge of the dancers and I just left you. But still, you understood why I did that and here I am ignoring you, taking away the only person that you ever loved.

I'm so sorry, Jessie.

I changed my clothes and grab my keys. I gave one last look at Kristina who was still sound asleep on my bed as I smiled bitterly. I immediately went outside to get into my car. I drove fast to get to what used to be Jessie and Kristina's apartment. I was crying the whole time. I was still confused but I know in my heart that I had to do something... for my best friend.

When I got to the apartment building, I parked my car and fixed myself, I went inside and go through a flight of stairs. I asked Jessie to buzz me in and so she did. When she opened the door, I expected the whole room to be cluttered, cans of beer should be lying everywhere and I would find broken pieces of glass... but to my surprise there was none. The whole apartment was spick and span.

She sat on the couch uneasy, elbows are on her knees while she rubs her hands together. I was just standing there looking at her... feeling sorry for her. Her eyes are baggy, she looks restless and her hair was not even fixed. The room may be neat and tidy but the one who's living in it was not. Neither one of us is speaking. I could only hear the sound of traffic and faint yelling of the neighbors. Jessie was breathing deep and it looks like she's about to cry.

I took a step forward but she gestured her hand not to come closer. So I just stood there again looking away. I sighed as I massage my temples.

"Jess..." I finally had the courage to say something, "I'm sorry about last time. I was angry and I was stressed out but I know that is not a good excuse to hurt you but--"

"It's not your fault." Said Jessie cutting me off, "I don't blame you. I would have done the same thing, so it's okay. I deserved it."

"Jess, I've got to tell you something and I need you to listen to me."

She raised her head and looked at me. Her expression was blank and I can't figure out what she was thinking.

"Tell me. I'm all ears." She said in a husky voice.

I walked towards the window and stared at the people passing by the street. I took a deep breath and said, "Jessie, she's with me."

"What?"