Chapter 35 "My Salvation"

I was staring at the loose fibers on the backrest of the couch, I want to take a pinch out of it but I ended up crying instead. I don't know why but I did. So I covered myself under the soft white sheet of what used to be a bed cover.  It's been three days since I left and disappeared. I'm sure they are all looking for me. They must be worried sick, so I was told. I diverted everyone's calls to my voice message, though I never listened to them. I just want to stay here in this couch and sleep all day.

"Kristina, you haven't eaten. Will you please at least eat this porridge I made you?" pleaded Greg.

I unmasked myself as I looked back at him then quickly looked away going back to my head position, "I'm not hungry..."

He released a sigh as I heard him put the bowl of porridge on his coffee table then he sat at the foot of the couch. "You have to eat something... or else you'll die." Said Greg as if it would scare me.

"Good. At least I won't feel shitty anymore."

He placed his hand on my arm then I got a little jumpy, "Oops... Sorry. Does is still hurt?"

"No." I wasn't lying... It doesn't hurt. I just don't like anyone touching me right now. It makes me feel vulnerable.

"I wish you could have fight back so you could protect yourself. Sparing you from... THIS!" said Greg with his great gestures. I'm getting used to it now.

"I don't want to talk about this anymore..."

"Sorry..." Greg's voice soften but still with a hint of frustration. I guess it was because of me.

"It's not in my nature, you know." I muttered.

"What?"

"I said, it's not in my nature to fight back. I don't like hurting people..." I said tearing up again. This pillow and this bed sheet must be so pissed at me right now. If they could only talk maybe they would say 'Stop crying! We wanna feel dry once in a while'... Yeah you wish!

"Can you at least face me so I could see if your face looks okay?"

I nodded, so I slowly turned my whole body to face Greg. Though it was hard due to the fact that all the muscles in my body is aching. I looked at Greg and I just saw him smiling at me.

"There you are..." said Greg studying my face. "Okay... the bruises on your face are not that visible anymore, the scratches on your neck are also disappearing and... the hand bruise are still there on your arms. Does your head still hurt?"

I nodded pouting like a child. He then touched my hands and smiled at me.

"Okay, I want you to eat this porridge and drink your pain medications. Just like what the doctor ordered."

Right. When Greg saw my condition, he didn't hesitate to take me to the nearest hospital to get me checked out. He was afraid that I might have a concussion or something. Good thing the doctor said that I was gonna be okay, there were no blood cloths forming and I just need to put an icepack on it and drink some pain medications. He even asked Greg to observe me if I will vomit or will get a high fever. But apparently there were no signs of me dying... yet. Greg was very considerate. He helped bathe me, clothed me and he even bought me undies. He doesn't mind. But I really appreciated it.

Greg helped me get up so I could eat and later on take my medicine. After I finished eating and took my medicine, I lie down again facing the backrest of the couch. Suddenly, Jessie's face entered my mind. All the memories of her hurting me came back so I cried again until I fell asleep.

When I woke up it was already dark outside. I looked at the clock that was hanging on wall and it was passed eleven o'clock. I tried to sit up and wondered where Greg was.