New Abilities

*******New Abilities *******

*******
New Abilities
*******

       Maya was wide awake when her alarm went off to get up. She had been up all night worried about Scott. She groaned when she had to get out of bed, but she did anyway.

      First thing she did was shower and then, make a pot of coffee for her mom like she did every morning. When her mom works the night shift, she always like coffee when she gets up. Even if she sleeps in til 3 o'clock in the afternoon.

      Maya got herself dressed and flung Scott's door open. She rolled her eyes at the boy. He was snoring. Extremely loudly. She pulled back his curtains to let the light in and he groaned rolling into his pillow.

      She chuckled finding it amusing to wake him up so abruptly.

      "Scott, if you are not in the car in the next 20 minutes. I'm leaving you." She demanded and walked out of the room.

      Even though he was bit by some wild animal last night, it was not an excuse to miss school. She walked into her bedroom and began applying some makeup. Only light natural makeup just something to add color to her tired face. She looked in the mirror. She saw the same girl just different feelings, emotions and thoughts. Her eyes flickered to the pink magenta color and her heart picked up a little.

       She took a deep breathe and looked back in the mirror. Her normal brown eyes were back. She let out a breath of relief and smiled at herself in the mirror.

      "This year will be good, will be better." She told herself. "Control that's all it takes."

      She smiled at her little self-assurance and grabbed her bag. She exited her room and walked down the stairs.

      "Headed to the car, Scott!" She yelled as she walked out the door.

        It was a 1996 Chevy Impala. It was silver. And it was the only thing Maya ever got from their dad. She got it for her birthday this summer. It was an 'I'm sorry I didn't come see you in the hospital' gift. Her dad sent it with a letter. That's all. She got a letter every year, and so did Scott. That's just about all they got though.

        At first, Maya didn't want it. Hell, her mom didn't want it, but it was the smart choice to keep it. Between Scott's job at the animal clinic and Maya's at the movie store. Having one car between the three of them just wasn't enough. She named it: Polly, the impala. Her brother hated the name, but Maya found it cute.

      Maya cranked the car and connected her phone to the radio playing soft music in the background. Scott climbed in the car yawning due to his lack of sleep as well.

       "Dude, you look like shit." Maya laughed and began driving.

       "Ha ha ha, you try getting attacked and then, have to go to school the next day." Scott groaned leaning his head back to rest.