The Captain's Linen

I followed Smith into a small chamber towards the stern of the ship. It had large windows overlooking the sea, and a single hammock connecting to either side of the room. It was quaint, but tidy, and more than enough temporary space.

"A'right here, miss," Smith said as he shuffled through a drawer, "We don't have any dresses for ye but we do have some nice shirts and trousers," he stared at me for a second before setting the clothes on a table. "I'll get ye a washin' bowl to clean up, miss. I'll leave ye in here to change," he said as he left the room.

As he closed the door behind him, I quickly rushed to it to turn the lock. Going back to the table, I pulled my wet stockings off first and my feet became cold as they touched the hardwood floor. My slippers must have fallen off when the Captain was carrying me; they were nowhere in sight. I rubbed my sore ankle for a minute before slipping out of my nightgown, my body cold and still slightly wet from my clothes. I slipped the white linen shirt on my body first, it large and flowing compared to my small frame. The trousers were much too sizable, reaching all the way past my waist with fabric still hanging off my feet. I huffed in annoyance and searched the drawer that Smith was in for a belt. Underneath more trousers I finally found one, yet thick in width and very long. I wrapped it through the loops of the trousers and hoisted it up to my waist. Pulling the belt tight, it went through the buckle and way past the holes to clip it in place. I sighed in frustration, but looped the belt around itself and tied it tight. Everything was much too big, but it was better than walking around the ship in my nightgown in the presence of who knows how many men. I rolled up the cuffs of the pants for a more comfortable fit, and did the same with the shirt. There was a quiet knock at the door.

"Tis only me, miss," Smith said from behind the door. I unlocked it and let him in, to which he smiled a toothy grin when seeing my face. I could tell he was a kind man, despite his old sailor's appearance.
"I got ye a washin' bowl and a mirr,'" he said cheerfully, as he set a platter down on the table with the bowl, pitcher, wash cloth, mirror and a brush on top.

"It's beautiful," I said as I picked up the hand mirror, embellished with gold cherub, olive branches, and emerald jewels around the glass, the handle a striking dark green. The brush looked identical to the mirror, only smaller, and with white bristles sticking out from the back of it.

"The Cap'in's," Smith replied, "though he never uses 'em as he ought," he spoke with a chuckle and scratched the chin hiding under his beard. "He don't use a lot of things he ought," he explained further, "we have all his clothes here yet he only wears on' pair," he laughed but I looked at him with distaste, now knowing the Captain never changed, and with embarrassment, knowing I was wearing the Captain's clothes.
"'e really is a nice man, miss, once you ge' past bein' acquaintance,'" Smith continued, seeing my expressions, "my best mate, 'e is, miss. Pulled me out from many a' blunders. A very fine man indeed, you'll see." I smiled at him as he talked about his friend. It warmed my heart to see his sincerity and effort to make me feel comfortable.

"Thank you, Mr. Smith," I recognized, "and thank you for bringing all of this for me, I appreciate your kindness."

He chuckled at me, "No need for formality, miss, just Smit' will do. If you need any-a-thing else, you holler an' let me know." He smiled a soft smile.

"In that case, Smith, you may call me Elenor," I informed, "It would be nice to have a friend on this ship, since we will have a long journey ahead of us."

"A long trip indeed, miss Elenor," he said with a smile.

"Friends?" I asked in anticipation.

"Friends, indeed," he said as he gently pushed a knuckle to my chin and winked with the one eye he had, like a father would to a small boy. I giggled at his informality, my heart warmed at his gentleness. "Speakin' o' friends," he continued, "I hav' to tend to that boy of yours as well, miss Elenor. Excuse me as I go," I watched as he made his way to the door, stopping just before closing it behind him, "If ye need anything, jus' holler," he said.

"I will, thank you, Smith," I smiled at him as he closed the door. My mind wandered to Sam, and the thought of Smith showing the same kindness to him. My heart began to sink. I never thanked Sam for the trouble he went through with all of this, just for me.

I decided I needed to see him right away and thank him, but would give him a few minutes to settle in, as I did. Going over to the pitcher on the table, I poured water into the bowl, splashing my hands clean, and eventually rubbing the dirt off of my face. I took the wash cloth from the platter, and dried my face, wiping it clean. Feeling refreshed, I took the dark green handle of the mirror in my hand and looked into the glass. My hair was a mess. The running had made all of my pins fall out, my hair wavy and battered from the salty wind. I took the brush decorated with gold in my other hand and began slowly untangling the knots. I admired the beauty of the piece as it effortlessly glided through my light brown hair. As I was brushing, I noticed small scratches at the base of my neck, most likely from running through the heavily wooded trees. My eyes were glossy and slightly darkened. I looked tired.

I went over to the hammock connected between the walls, and sat down. Suddenly feeling sleepy with the new warm clothes and the hammock wrapping tightly around my body, I closed my eyes for a brief moment. 'I haven't slept since the first night we were attacked,' I thought in sorrow, and shortly after, drifted off to sleep.

*RAP-RAP-RAP*

I awoke to a few knocks at my door, which made me shuffle in my hammock. It closed around my shoulders more, not wanting me to leave.

*RAP-RAP-RAP*

A few more knocks. I groaned and sat up slightly, looking outside the windows with sleepy eyes. The sun was on the brink of setting, the sky a gentle glow of orange. I reluctantly got up from the hammock, fixed my hair away from my face, and walked towards the door. I opened it to reveal Sam standing there, wide eyed.
"Sam!" I exclaimed as I quickly threw my arms around him in an embrace, "I'm sorry, I fell asleep."

"That's okay, I did as well," he explained as he hugged back, "but one of the crew members woke me up with his God-awful whistling," he laughed.

"Oh," I pulled away and hesitated, "I'm glad you got rest. I wanted to thank you. You did so much for us to get here safely."

"You know I'm always here for you," he smiled and put a strand of hair behind my ear, kissing the top of my head. He continued, "The Captain is waiting for us. He wants to have a word."

"Okay?" I looked at him questioningly, but he gave no answer. He took my hand and guided me down the hall, knocking at a large wooden door at the center of the stern.

"Come in," a low, raspy voice came from within it. The Captain.