Goodnight

"WAIT–" I called after him, quickly following his footsteps. He was walking at such a fast pace that I had to run up to him. "Captain, wait," I touched his shoulder lightly and he spun around, smacking my hand away from him. "I know you," I said to him as I tried to catch my breath, his eyes blazing into mine.

"You know nothing," he spat back, jaw clenching and expression fuming.

A full memory flooded back into my mind from when I was a girl. A young Commodore, pacing my father's office, speaking at raised tones concerning pirates and treason. I watched from the crack in the doorway as my father yelled at him and put him in his place. He stood still with arms behind his back, not responding. My father dismissed him and he quickly walked towards the door and opened it. I stumbled backwards as it was pulled from me and I was met with his angry and fuming expression. His eyes softened, a deep brown with many thoughts hid behind them, when he realized I was there. Then he briskly walked out of the house, mounted his horse, and rode away.

"You worked for my father, in the navy," I spoke, straightforwardly. "Commodore Jacob Kiszka. I saw you." He looked at me in shock as he slowly walked towards me, his eyes never faltering, our bodies centimeters away. I could feel his breath on my face as he exhaled from his nose. The slight scent of burning wood and tobacco emanated from his presence as I looked up at him.

"That was a long time ago, princess" he mocked, "I no longer go by that title," he reiterated. The intensity of his voice caused my heart to beat faster.

"But this is good," I said, "My father knows you. I know I will get home safely." I paused, wondering why he was no longer in the navy. "What happened?" I asked.

"You will refer to me as Captain Blacksmoke, and nothing else. You are dismissed to your quarters," he spoke behind gritted teeth, then walked briskly to his own quarters, locking the door behind him, leaving me in my place.

Shocked at the whole ordeal, I slowly backed away from where I was, then turned around to go back to my room. Before even realizing it, I suddenly bumped into something behind me.

"Oh! I'm sorry–" Sam said, carefully catching me by my shoulders.

"Oh, Sam," I said as I looked into his caring eyes. I wrapped my arms around his torso and he held me against himself. I bit down on my lip, trying not to cry again as he caressed my hair.

"Are you okay? What did he do to you?" The concern in his voice calmed my nerves. I looked up at him, my eyes starting to water. "Did he hurt you?" He asked, moving my hair from my face.

"I'm okay," I said as I carefully pulled away, "I'm sorry I yelled at you earlier. I was just frazzled." I looked into his eyes, soaking in every wisp of gold that I could see.

"It's okay, Elenor," he said in a quiet voice.

He was more of a comfort than he knew. He was the closest bit of home that I had left. "I'm scared," I said, surprising myself.

"In all honesty, I am too," he scratched his chin, "but I know we'll get to England."

"He knows my father."

"The Captain?" He asked, looking at me with a puzzled look on his face.

"He used to work for my father in the navy. I've seen him before. I thought I recognized him earlier, but I couldn't place it until now. Let me show you." I gestured for Sam to follow me into my room. As he followed close, I picked up the mirror from the table and flipped it around to show the inscription.

"That is curious," Sam said as he looked at the mirror. He looked back into my eyes with concern, "there's a reason he's a pirate now."

"I know, but I don't know what happened. If I can't get it out of him I'll have to ask my father when we return to England." I let out a big sigh and Sam gave a questioning look. "I haven't been to England since I was five. I hardly remember it. I still can't believe my home is destroyed."

Sam put his arms around me again as my eyes filled with tears. "Our home," he said, sorrowfully.

"Our home," I repeated against his chest.

Sam let out a large yawn and looked out the windows of my room. Darkness surrounded us as the candle on the table flickered low lighting. With Sam holding me in his arms, I became anxious at the thought of him leaving and me being alone.

"Can you stay in here tonight?" I asked, fearfully. Sam looked at me with a shocked expression. "I'm not asking you to do anything, I just don't want to be alone." I looked back at the doorway as I imagined the Captain bursting through the door. I turned my focus back at Sam, hopeful.

"Okay," he said as he looked in my eyes and carefully let me go. "Let me grab my things first," he said. I watched him as he made his way out of the door and I hugged my arms around my body to comfort myself. I walked over to my hammock and sat in it, my bare feet touching the floor. I heard a quiet knock on the doorway as Sam appeared with a blanket and a pillow, a wide grin on his face. "You look funny all squished up like that. Are you comfortable?"

"Surprisingly, yes," I laughed. He laid out the pillow and blanket on the floor, and laughed to himself. "What's so funny??" I asked.

"Do you remember the last time we did this?" He laughed again, I shook my head in confusion. "We were playing in the closet in the parlor and fell asleep. Everyone was looking for us for hours." I laughed at the thought of it, trying to remember the details.

"I can't say I remember that. I think we were playing a bit too hard then," I said. Sam giggled and looked at me with a boyish grin as I laid down.

"I remember everything from when we were younger, and everything connected to it. The details on the walls, the smells of the rooms, what we were wearing. I remember it all. I had the best moments with you, always." A flicker of amber danced in his eyes as he looked at me.

I looked back at him lovingly with warmth filling my heart. I was so lucky to have him through everything. "I'm so glad you're with me now," I said genuinely.

"As am I," he said. He paused for a moment and shuffled under his blanket. "Goodnight, Elenor," he finally said.

"Goodnight," I responded. Quietness filled the room and I watched the candle burn down all the way, wax melting all over the candle stick. I could hear Sam breathing slowly next to me and I drifted off to sleep.

I awoke to a sudden banging on my door, my body stuck inside my hammock. 'SAM," I yelled and looked over at him, but he was not moving. 'SAM!' I shouted, but still no movement. Just then, a band of pirates burst through my door with pistols and cutlasses pointed at me. I screamed and tried to get out of my hammock, but the pirates rolled me up in it and carried me off.

I jumped and woke up for real this time, panting. "Are you okay??" I heard from below me.

"Sam?"

"Yes," he said quietly.

"Can you come up here?"

He hesitated but then I heard shuffling of his blanket and saw his figure stand in the darkness. "Scooch over," he said sleepily and I sat up, making room for him. He sat next to me and swung his legs underneath me. I laid down, slightly on top of him, with my head on his chest. He put his arm around me and let out a sigh. "You were mumbling in your sleep," he said, his voice rumbling in his chest.

"Bad dream," I said, my hand slightly covering my mouth.

"Hmm?" He asked.

"Just a dream," I replied. His breathing was deep and soothing. I could feel his heart beating rhythmically in his chest. I opened my hand up trying to feel it more, and his breathing paused for a second before he kissed the top of my head and intertwined my hand in his.

"This is so scandalous," he said. I could hear his smile through the dark.

"I'm sorry," I apologized genuinely, knowing he didn't have to put himself in this position.

"I won't tell anyone," he said, his breathing slowing down again and thumb caressing my hand. "Goodnight, El."