Love's Desire

Jake's POV:

A warmness melted away her worried expression, her arms reaching out to me. She placed them around my neck, pulling me close in an embrace. I gently wrapped my arms around her in response, rubbing her back in reassurance. I could feel her heart beating against my own, hers more pained and tired. Feeling her emotion within my own heart, I briefly questioned whether or not she could handle being around me in the future. I knew she was unsure, her eyes told stories of what she went through. The turmoil and trauma of her journey were greater than I could ever imagine, and deep down I knew she would not set foot on a ship for a very long time once we docked. Still, I would give it all up for her, but would I only be a painful reminder of the past? I could not bare the thought of losing her again, my only sense of peace and strength within her, but if leaving mean protecting her sanity, I would do it without question. My throat began to burn as tears watered in my eyes. I cursed them, trying to choke them back. "A few more days and you will be safe and sound," I spoke out to her, reassuring her that no matter what, I would make sure that she was safe.

"I already feel safe with you," she mumbled against my neck as if reading my mind. Her breath was warm on my skin, and her words were soothing, collapsing all doubt from my mind. I inhaled deeply, breathing her in, her comment suddenly breaking my ability to hold back the emotion I was feeling. She let me go, even though I wished she would hold on. I quickly wiped my nose, trying to cover up my sudden break of character. I was here to console her.

"I'm sorry, Captain," she breathed out, her green eyes filled with worry. I laughed at her remark, the formality amusing.

"Oh bloody hell, Elenor. If you're going to bleed emotion out of me at least call me by my name." I joked, it being the only way to release my feeling.

"Oh God, Jake," she laughed back at me, her eyes lighting up, "I thought I had wounded you." A broad smile escaped my mouth at her response, my name gracefully laced on her lips like it had always belonged there. My heart beat rapidly within my chest, too excited to handle. I felt a giddiness wash over me, my love for her growing every second I stared at her, my name in her voice echoing in my memory. Unable to contain myself any longer, I pulled her toward me and planted a sloppy smooch on her lips. As soon as I pulled away she laughed with entertainment, a high-pitched squeak in her tone, lighting my love for her even more.

"Oh, if we were on land I fear I would whisk you away right now," I confessed foolishly, my hands grasping at hers.

"Who says you can't whisk me away while we're on this ship?" she flirted, a glimmer of the sea shining in her eyes once more. She entertained my imagination, the corners of her lips turning upright like waves crashing against rocks offshore. God, she was dangerous. I would be damned if I got any nearer, yet her enticement kept my curiosity captive.

"With your permission, of course," I said to her, earning a glimpse of gratitude in her eyes. An old sailor's phrase rang through my head: 'Respect the sea and she will respect you in return.'  I would do anything to please her, but only at her will. "Will you follow me?" I asked, excitement rising as I hoped for her response.

"I would follow you to the end of the world—" she expressed, her smile wide from ear to ear. I quickly pulled her from the balcony and she wrapped her hand around my arm. We strode to the main deck in a sort of daydream, wish-like state. It felt as if we were floating down the halls, our steps absentmindedly taking us to the place we wanted to be alone together the most. Our heads were high in the clouds, giving each other cheeky glances, filled with admiration, temptation, and apprehension. The wind blew through her hair, the sun glittering her skin with beams of light. Her smile, full of life and love, was absolutely contagious. I could hardly keep my eyes off of her as she glowed, her beauty unmatched by anything I had ever seen.