Chapter 8

It was a ten minute walk to get to his house. It was a small house. It was a little run down too. It had a boarded up window and they used curtains as blankets.

He runs a hand through his shaggy blonde hair and says,"You ready?"

"Yeah." I say with a big smile, almost too big.

He gives me a just as cheesy grin back at me and he opens the door.

We walk in quietly. My hand brushes against Kellen's hand a few times, which made me feel even more awkward. I felt my face get hot and he looks down at me and smirks.

We enter the kitchen and see a buff guy with black hair and a scruffy beard. He looked like he was in his mid-twenties. We all know he was way older than that. The Changing made him look young, that was the age he picked, so he will forever stay like this.

"Sup Dad, we have company." Kellen said.

"I can see that" he replied. His voice was as deep as I thought it was. He sounded like a wrestler.

"Hi." I say.

He says," So you are the princess?"

I nod

"Wow." He says with his eyebrows raised. " Tell me, do you know anything about the war?"

"Dad l, don't start." Kellen spoke.

"What war?" I ask, clearly confused

"Don't play dumb with me, you know." He continues.

Kellen's dad keeps shouting at me, I am
stunned.

"All I know is that there are threats, but-"

"Don't answer him." Kellen says.

Kellen comes up to me and says," The first room you see, go in there. I will be there in a minute." I nod and go in there as fast I can and shut the door.

I could tell this is Kellen's room, considering there are a bunch of rock band posters and pictures of him and Venus.

I could hear Kellen and his dad argue saying things like,
" Stop acting like a freaking weirdo."

"You know that she knows something."

"You're paranoid!"

This went on for about fifteen minutes of yelling, tables crashing and then, there is a door slam. I am afraid that Kellen left and his crazy father was here.

There is a knock on the door and I hear a voice say," it's me, princess." Kellen. Thank God!

I open up, his eyes are red. I try to light up the situation by saying," I made a great first impression didn't i."

He laughs, "sure did. I'm sorry, he is just obsessed with the War Of The Ancient Ones. It's not even going to happen. He is paranoid. Its ridiculous. I'm really sorry"

I look him in the eye and say,"it is fine don't worry."

He smirks, then he looks at me deeply in the eye and said, "You are truly one awesome person."

His eyes are finally gold again.
"Let's go." He says as he pats me on the back.
_________________________________

Kellen hangs out with me the the whole day, apologizing about his lunatic dad. We walk to the center of town and just look around the old stores. We didn't get anything though.

"The club is open tonight, do ya wanna go with me?" He ask as he runs a hand through his hair.

"I would love to, but I would never hear the end of it if I go. Poparatzi and all that stuff " I say.

He pursed his lips and said,"Can we at least get a drink together?"

"Kellen i-would-say-your-last-name-but-i-dont-know-it-yet." I reply.

"It is Helsing. And I meant just a drink of blood or something."

I can't believe I was friends with him for such a long time and I don't even know his last name. I'm a horrible friend.

Right when I was about to say yes, my phone rings. It was Vanessa.

"Hold on a sec." I say with a weak smile.
I pick up the phone and all I hear is, "Come home now!"

I look at Kellen and say,"I ......need to go."

He smirks and says," Sucks. Do you need a ride to get to the castle faster?"

"How? you don't have a car."

He rolls his eyes and says slowly," You can ride on my back while I just have batwings. I will be a manbat."

My eyes widen," I didn't know vampires can do that!"

"It is a new trick. Now let's go. It must be important if they want you home so early."

I nod and jump on his back. I wrap my arms around his neck and my legs around his abdomen. He is cold, but all vampires are. He slowly grows gigantic batwings, and just batwings. Then he looks back and says,"Ready?"

"That is creepy." I reply.

"Take that as a yes."

Then he was off. He was so fast I was holding on so tight I was probably chocking him. I was terrified I was going to fall off. I leaned in closer and decided to focus on his scent. It was fruity. A mix of fruit. Was it strawberry and bannana? I know there was definitely strawberries in there. What was it mixed with?

Man he smelt good. Was he using girl shampoo?

Oh God.

I hope not.

We get to the castle and I hop off his back. Something seemed......... Different about it. Where were all of the servents and workers?

"Kellen, can you stay a little longer?"

"Uh- sure" he stutters out."

We both walk in. The castle is dark and quiet. Where is everybody. It is silent in the castle. It is usually never silent. The pots and pans in the kitchen banging, gardening tools at work.

Kellen looks over at me and whispers," What did Vanessa say on the phone?"

"She just said to get home now and fast. Then it was over." I reply just as quietly.

We hear heavy footsteps walk down the hall.

Kellen looks at me and grabs my hand and runs down to the nearest room and we hide. I was about to say something, but he clamped hisvlarge hand over my mouth.

"Ima go check it out." He says.

"No!" I hiss.

"Lock the door." He says before he leaves me

Alone.

So I wait.