Chapter 33: Sick

Levi's POV:

I was driving past every car on the road. Sure it's unsafe but something just doesn't feel right. Hange hasn't been answering any of my messages since yesterday. And now, I fear for the worst.

As soon as I reached her work building, I nearly jumped out of my car due to the panic that was slowly taking over me. I rushed inside and I bumped into Sheena, one of Hange's colleagues and friends.

"Sheena" I say to the woman who just passed by.

"Hm? Oh! Levi, hey, whatchu doing here?" She asks.

"Where's Hange?" I ask, concern written all over my face.

"Hange's been absent here for the past two days, she says she's sick. But I guess it's in season. If you want to see her, she's at her apartment." She says with a smile. "Well I have to go now, see ya!"

"Thanks." I say to her before she walks away.

I walked out of the building and made my way to Hange's apartment. I was going to take the elevator but it was broken. Of all times. I sigh and took the stairs. I ran up the beige colored stairs, but still making sure I don't slip or fall.

I rummaged around the pocket of my blazer until I found the spare key Hange had given me. I walked inside and closed the door behind me, locking it.

I quickly scanned the kitchen, living room and the balcony.

Empty.

With nowhere else to look, I ran towards her bedroom door. As soon as I twisted the door knob, I saw a messy pile of blankets on the bed, as well as some uneaten plates of food on top of the night stand. And to top it all off, I saw a lump under all the sheets of fabric on the bed.

As I walked closer, I could see that the so called lump was actually Hange. She was curled up into a ball as she slept peacefully on her bed. I let out at sigh of relief, knowing she's fine, well almost. She's still sick: according to Sheena. Though she was sick, I still sat beside her, not minding how messy it is or the viruses I could potentially catch from being so close to her.

She grunts as she tossed and turned in her sleep, then soon waking up from her deep slumber. She looked at me with her beautiful russet eyes. It took her a few seconds to realize it was me.

"Levi?" She asks, still laying in bed.

I hum in response

"What are you doing here?" She asks.

"I came here to check if you're okay"

"Aww, how sweet" she giggles. Her happiness didn't last long though, she soon jolted out of bed and ran to the bathroom. Things happened so quickly that I barely even had time to process what happened.

I then ran to the bathroom, peeping through the crack of the door. She was kneeling in front of the toilet, puking her guts out. I was reluctant to walk in, but before I could agree or disagree with the thought of walking into the bathroom, I was already walking towards her, gently patting her back and holding her brown hair so it doesn't touch the toilet.

Once she finished, she grabbed the glass of water that was on top of the counter, almost like it was waiting for her. Or she knew this was going to happen.

"Did you eat something bad? " I asked.

Normally, she would chuckle. But this time, she didn't. Instead, she answered in a tired tone. "No... I don't think so?"

I held her hand as we walked back to her bed, just incase she passes out or trips. "Why didn't you tell me you were sick?" I asked her while I tucked her into bed.

"You know we're both busy. I didn't want to bother you." She says before yawning.

"I see... But next time, tell me. I don't want anything bad happening to you.." I admit. "Would you like me to order us some dinner?"

"Yes. That would be nice."

"What do you want?" I ask.

"Omelette sounds good."

"Okay, you get some rest while I order." I say, she nods before she dozed off again.

* * *

The food soon came. I placed her omelette on a plate so she wouldn't make a mess. I would've ordered her to get out of bed, but that doesn't look like an option.

I walked in with our food, I placed it on the nightstand before I woke her up. "Hange, wake up. It's time to eat." I say while gently tapping her shoulder.

She opened one of her eyes and looked at me before she opened the other. She groaned as she got up.

"Here." I say as I handed her the food.

She played with the food, not eating it. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"I don't like the smell of it. It makes me sick to my stomach." She says bluntly.

"What? Weren't you the one who wanted omelettes?" I asked.

"Yeah.. But now that it's here.. I don't want it."

I sigh. "You can't skip dinner. You have to at least eat something." I say as I took a bite of the egg.

"Hmm... Lasagna, pickled relish, and some yogurt." She smiles at her request.

I almost gagged at what she wanted. "Are you... Sure?" I asked, I couldn't tell if she was messing with me or she was dead serious.

"Yes!"

"I think that food combination could make you even more sick. I can do the lasagna and pickled relish, but with yogurt?"

"Oh come on, I'm already puking my guts out, might as well." She laughs.

I'm convinced she's really lost it. But I still nodded at her request. What is going on with this woman?