season 2 | chapter 20 (i)

THE SUNNY LANDSCAPE of the evergreen forest trees had given its place to the color palette of the night

THE SUNNY LANDSCAPE of the evergreen forest trees had given its place to the color palette of the night. A plethora of blue hues covered the sky dotted with myriads of stars and the full moon crowned the veil of darkness with its soft glow.

This was the place: the Meadowland.

The Meadowland was a planet located in the depths of the magic dimension. It was greatly famous for its endless variety of plants, herbs, trees and fields with numerous properties - starting from the harmlesss ones such as healing wounds and contributing to the overal health of a person and ending to severe poisoning that could turn out lethal.

Nevertheless, what took them by surprise was the spot where the galaxy gate led them to.

Lyla and Kai looked at the scenery around them with caution. A vast field of white lilies expanded in front of them. A gentle breeze lifted the dust from the ground, causing them to put a protective hand in front of their face as they coughed.

"Alright, we're here," Lyla said, dusting off her pants. "Now what?"

Kai didn't have an answer to her question. It was one of those few occasions where he was clueless himself as to how they should head from now on.

"I've no idea." He shook his head, more to himself rather to Lyla. "I guess we should keep going and see what happens."

Kai began walking through the field, with Lyla following a few steps behind. The chilly breeze made her rub her arms in attempt to warm herself. "I really don't like this."

"Why?" Kai asked.

"Well, white lilies, for starters."

"Just because they're common in funerals, doesn't mean they're assosiated with death," he told her with a curt tone.

Lyla's eyes widened with mild shock. She didn't anticipate a sharp response of this kind from him. It was something that prompted her to ask the next question. "I hope I didn't say something out of the line. Is everything alright? You seem tense all of a sudden."

Kai fixhated his focus on avoiding to step on the lilies as much as he could. There was a factor off in this situation. The strong punch on his gut never lied to him. Lilies weren't tall plants, yet somehow the ones beneath him managed to reach the height of his knee. His attention was almost unfaltering, to the point he'd almost miss Lyla's answer.

"I'm fine, Lyla. I just don't like it when people jump to assumptions about things whose purpose doesn't have one meaning." His eyes roamed around as he went on, his body taut like a bow, in alert of any upcoming danger. "Haven't you ever thought about why certain things are the way they are? How strange all of this is?"

Lyla's curiosity was sparked once again. "What do you mean?"

"You saw white lilies and connected them to death almost immediately, out of habit - which makes sense. We're heavily the result of the effect other people have on us in our everyday lives, starting from our family."