season 2 | chapter 17 (ii)

"NOW WE HAVE to sort the potions out

"NOW WE HAVE to sort the potions out."

Gathered around the table near the back of the store, Hilary examined the potions, pensive. Although she'd come prepared in the financial aspect, she wasn't positive she could afford all five potions.

"Why sort them out?" Johnny asked, shrugging at Hilary's pointed glare.

"Because we don't need all of them," she lied, her face fixed on the elixirs. They didn't need to have knowledge of the actual expenses of their trip. It didn't have to do with her lacking the bravery to be honest, but with her stubbornness to get it right, always. If she was going to take action, she had to make the right choices.

The five filters in front of her were powerful. The two were healing potions they would need at all costs. The issue and the cause of her inner struggle were the remaining three; two potions with damaging properties and one with a strong defense. As much as she fancied the prospect of purchasing both filters with the noxious attributes, there was something about the shield of defense the last potion provided that she couldn't shake off.

Tyson eyed the elixirs. A question emerged in his brain and he veered his attention to Hilary. "Why did we come here in the first place? It's not like a war is going to happen anytime soon."

His breath fanned against her temple, and Hilary pressed her lips together. She braced her hands on the wooden surface and turned to him. "Apparently, you were sleeping when I told you the information Eos passed on to me earlier. What part of him saying The Shadows appear at the festival did you not understand?"

"He didn't exactly say a war is on the way, and, I wasn't sleeping."

Hilary inhaled a sharp breath to steady the reins on her nerves. She wanted to doubt the inner bell of warning her about Tyson's idiocy, but alas, her rational nature refused to listen to it. "No, you weren't," she agreed with a nod and watched a small smile of relief spreading on his lips. It was a pity she was going to erase it the next moment. "You were mentally elsewhere."

The hints of a smile faded. Tyson grunted at Hilary's expertise of playing him, again. The fire of almost unrestrained fury within him was raging, but he had all the time in the world to bicker with her once they were home.

Hilary returned her attention to the potions. She didn't pay heed to his deliberate efforts of cooling the tension with his playfulness. She wanted to give into them, more than anything, but the reasonable part of her refused to let the tiniest bit of sentimentality seep through. She had one goal and nothing was going to distract her. "Tyson, we have to focus. The Shadows are coming and we must make the most out of what we have."

Tyson exhaled a long sigh of retreat. She was right. They came here for her, not only to be by her side, but to take her to the next step. It was weird for him to admit it at first, and he almost lied to himself he'd followed to ensure the team was going to return in one piece. However, later on, he came to the conclusion he was willing to go out of his way enough to help her.