season 2 | chapter 12

IT WAS IRREFUTABLE they weren't in Astropolis anymore

The gate's doors spread apart and the team held their breath, anticipation thrumming in their veins. A whole new world, a different civilization was going to be exposed before their eyes.

The clouds subsided and the landscape came into clear view. People flying with angel wings and the cobblestoned street separating the white architecture of the buildings lined one next to the other greeted Goldstream's students.

Hilary lifted her head to the sky. It was even brighter, such a beautiful shade of soulful blue. The power of pure magic in the atmosphere was almost overwhelming. It inflated her heart with an emotion that could be defined as nothing but incredible exhilaration.

For a moment she stood there and breathed. She inhaled deeply the refreshing air of another realm, the soft wind carrying her hair behind her back, trying to cool unsuccessfully the heat on her cheeks. For a moment she numbed her mind to the things that were enough to make her more than happy.  She set aside any troubling thoughts and the weight of the yet undiscovered truth and breathed.

All she needed was to remind herself to steal a moment to breathe.

Hilary blinked, opening her eyes to the world in front of her. The first thing that fell to her notice was most people avoided flying. They were standing with their feet firmly to the ground, living their lives, taking one step at a time.

It was almost as if these people were as ordinary as the humans on the Earth were.

Her observation didn't need long to be voiced aloud, she thought with amusement lighting her irises. Tyson crossed his arms, his features resembling a five-year-old's frown for not receiving the toy he had pleaded his parents to buy him. "Most of the people here aren't flying." He then turned to the girls. "Was this really necessary?" he asked, pointing to his disguise.

Mariah's response didn't come immediately. She was staring ahead, her eyes not truly concentrating on the city ahead. Her chest rose and fell in a steady rhythm, but her fingers curled into fists to her sides and her closed lips betrayed that something wasn't right.

"Mari?" Lyla called her, placing her hands on her shoulders. Worry was written across her face as she gently shook her shoulders to bring her back. "Are you alright?"

Mariah shut her eyes but faced difficulties before prying them open. Her head was spinning.

"Mari!" Lyla repeated, shaking her shoulders more. Her friend looked as if she was dazed.

Mariah touched her forehead with her palm. She was putting immense effort to not stagger and alarm the others over something of little importance. She wished she hadn't reached the breaking point though.

"I'm sorry," she said, her voice laced with a hint of exhaustion and an unnecessary apology. She was summoning every power from within for her legs to not wobble, although she wasn't confident she would last without sitting soon. "I got a bit dizzy."