season 1 | chapter 02

THE NIGHT WAS chaotic

This was the definite characterization that represented her mental state. She wanted to fall, sprawl all over the floor and never get up. She believed her resources were plenty, that she had a whole lot more to give into this battle.

Life was supposed to be different. She was supposed to be enjoying the smell of burning marshmellows, the descending sun on the horizon and the laughter reaching her ears from the bonfire by the beach the seniors of Goldstream academy had organized to celebrate their diplomas.

These were the traits of someone whose both divorced parents – if divorced – were rational.

But Damian Hart the exact opposite of the definition.

Lyla's fingers tightened around the phone in her trembling grip. How was it possible for one human to possess the cruel power of flipping her world upside down with one word was something he only had the knowledge of.

"This is the last time we're having this fucking conversation," she told him, her voice almost outraged. Every second precious for her inner integrity sunk into the ground as long as she made the sacrifice of listening to one bullshit after the other he'd shoot from the other end of the line.

Her father had reached to a point of no returning.

It didn't revolve around the state of the relationship between them, but his own path as a person. Blinded by the worst instincts of vanity, his greedy nature rendered him a burnt paper.

"This is the last time, indeed, "he told her, his remorseless voice sending shivers racing down her spine. "You should be ashamed, Lyla. But, even more ashamed should be this little slut you unfortunately call mother. She knows exactly what she did and now she demands to live off of my money. Such a skank."

Lyla's vision started to blur. Her ears were buzzing from his venomous words. He could go fuck himself for all he was worth.

Her day had begun with a liveliness she hadn't felt for a long while. She contributed to the house by helping with the chores since her mother couldn't handle everything at once due to her job as a tutor of chemistry to high school kids. She had dusted off every corner of the house, vacuumed and mopped with the music to accompany her on this calm but vigorous morning.

Lyla had made sure everything was perfect. She had cooked her famous pasta with minced meat, with the rays of the bright sun giving a new breath of life, including the kitchen with their golden light.

She had managed to beat time with indisputable success. She had prepared the table for their lunch, accompanied by a rich Mediterranean salad. The smell of fresh bread played its own game with her nostrils, with the crunchy feeling being beyond dreamy.

After a demanding morning at work, Lyla was glad that her mother's lunch break included a hearty meal. She hoped her mom would be able to find a few hours to rest before the moment of leaving for the afternoon shift arrived.