season 2 | chapter 21 (vi)

Ps

Ps. (Do listen to the music above. For there lies all the magic of the particular chapter)

Happy Reading!

xx.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Chapter 40 | Part 6

WHEN HILARY REGAINED her consciousness, the world around her was a blur.

Her muscles screamed from the strain as she stood, her knees testing her inner strength to not give in beneath her.

Helios gained a significant amount of ground while she was knocked out and the fact she wasn't aware of the duration served to multiply her anxiety tenfold.

Hilary stood, shifting her neck to the palace. Flashes from the blows on each side of the battlefield brightened for a fraction of a second the area around the broken windows, their light dispersing into the darkness of the starless sky.

As long as her friends and Selene were alive, there was a reason worth fighting for.

She retransformed into her Etherix. Her wings were heavy on her back due to Helios' strike, but it was a detail she didn't have the luxury to fret over. He was carrying on with his atrocities and the sheer thought of the time she lost and all of the things she could've done differently were sufficient to release a tear from the cage of her heart.

They may have defeated the majority of the enemy fleet at the cobblestoned streets of the capital that was a great number of the Underworld's soldiers, but after their arrival at the palace, nothing had gone as planned. The scepter refused to obey her and even questioned her reliability when it was torn between choosing her or Helios as its master.

It was a universal truth that the rightful owner to the scepter was none other than the Goddess of the Moon herself, but Helios' unexpected and stealthy move had thrown her off guard, forcing her into a state she hadn't calculated. Although the scepter was trapped into a mini-world she had zero access to, Helios' incapability to reach it either was a remarkable consolation. He couldn't ruin her chess play furthermore, just as she couldn't ruin his thus far.

The bracelet Mariah had all linked them with appeared on her wrist, emanating a vivid glow. Eos was on his way from the outskirts of the capital and he'd secured the safety of the citizens.

A small smile Hilary was hesitant to let it meet its full bloom toyed with her lips. It was a tiny victory, one her soul couldn't rejoice in, not yet.

Albeit she tried not to ignore the wave of satisfaction as he told her how the streets of the city were indeed empty of all harm, Helios' presence and Selene's imprisonment were the key factors to not sway from the rationality and the clarity she needed to draw the curtains of closure Selene and the Kingdom deserved throughout the course of so many centuries.