season 2 | chapter 21 (ii)

Chapter 40 | Part 2

Chapter 40 | Part 2

"RUNNING AROUND LIKE headless chickens was your genius idea?" asked Tyson.

His chest was heaving and relaxing with immense speed, sucking all the oxygen from the atmosphere to give him the strength to run. The laser beams shooting above them were the true realization of the battle that began among their absence.

Kai didn't respond to Adams' redundant comment. Their goal to protect Selene from Helios' nets was underway. As long as each none of them diverted from the execution of his strategy, the chances of aiding the kingdom were fruitful.

Hilary half-turned her head to aim a lethal glare at him. "How can your brain work enough to come up with stupidity at times like this?"

Tyson's breaths were erratic. "I wouldn't expect from conceited people like you to understand humor." The crown of his hair was becoming damp with sweat and he hadn't used his powers yet.

The panicked shouts, the desperate, inconsolable cries for help along with the smoke emanating from the burnt houses sealed the fate of the Capital for the worst. The citizens were waiting for the holy triad of Helios, Selene and Eos to rescue them any moment. They scurried away from the place they used to call home. The children holding their hands were asking frantically where they were going, not having the luxury to say a proper goodbye as the flames turned their shelter to ashes.

Hilary begged for whatever creatures were in charge of their every move to bless her with the courage of the skies. They were always there, despite their ever-changing forms. They resembled humans in more ways than one could imagine. They were involving, expanding, guiding them when their wisdom was aligned with the mortals' hearts and keeping them in the dark when they hadn't absorbed the value of their lesson to their core.

"Knock it off," Kai demanded. "Our focus is the palace. We need to get there before it's too late." He shifted his attention to Hilary for a brief beat. "Do we have any news from Eos?"

Hilary was grateful none of them could register her disappointment. She'd explained to them how the Cord of Lucency worked as a telepathic communication mechanism between the members of the royal family under circumstances of great need.

She recalled her body's reactions during the dreams Selene visited her as a child. Her blood would surge through her veins with ecstatic emotion, a profound sense of bliss, almost overwhelming, taking over her entire being. The waves of telepathy at the activation of the link would overflow her with serenity, the utmost form of peace.

Eos never used that link to reach her. The question mark arising from that thought was enough to unsettle her furthermore. They could've prevented so much more if she'd taken responsibility of her roots earlier and wasn't the egotistical bitch that Tyson developed a knack to call her throughout their declared war.