season 2 | chapter 18

THEY WERE BACK to square one

Hilary and Selene's eyes were soaring through the endless blue in front of them, the plethora of colors from the garden expanding beneath them serving to heighten the beauty of the scenery. The winter sun cast a soft, yet marvelous light of warmth on their ice-bitten cheeks in an attempt to break the ice of the strained, unsaid words between them.

Hilary lifted the fabric of the jacket further until it reached her nose. She nuzzled at the comforting feeling for a moment before she had to let go. For an adult who turned out to be a Goddess who's lived countless centuries, it was unfortunate to lack the maturity of making the first move.

Her biological mother was right next to her, but in the end, she was still alone.

Well, that has to change, she thought to herself with an inner grimace. She had to push past Selene's borders to work together. The issue was, though, her mother was resigned from everything. Even though her Kingdom was in danger, she didn't appear willing to take the initiative and turn things around.

As much as Hilary wanted to blame her for being weak she couldn't. She may had been a fervent supporter of the belief that the excuse of 'someone has gone through a lot' was a lame way to avoid the responsibilities and impede her from taking action, but Hilary could sense the psychological damage, almost feel it in tangible waves.

A grand amount of Selene's powers was gone. The Goddess had lost the faith in herself, living her life in an autopilot. Nothing touched her anymore; nothing motivated her to strive for change. No one had been there for her.

Hilary dwelled on her last thought. She wasn't sure of its accuracy, given the fact that chances were high Eos had resulted in contacting her due to Selene's obstinate behavior of handling the situation on her own. The concern etched on Eos' face was unmistakable. He cared about his sister a lot – there was no doubt there.

Hilary pressed her lips together, her expression crestfallen. They were going to find a dead end if Selene didn't go out of her waters to help. Of course, Hilary could and would give her the boost to step out of her comfort zone, but if her mother was reluctant then...she'd raise hell. She didn't travel here to let Selene's insecurities get the best of her and cost her an entire Kingdom.

First, she was going to aim for the truth and worry for the rescue plan later.

Hilary's fingers gripped tighter the edge of the top rail of the balustrade. Selene's fear wasn't going to win. "I know this isn't easy for you, but if we don't do something the Kingdom might end up dead."

She had intended for a milder approach, but the harshness of the last part of her sentence was inevitable. For a moment Hilary felt the roles of the mother and the daughter had been switched – even though Selene's absence had never been a basis for a proper mother to begin with.

She suppressed the urge to roll her eyes. She wasn't going to babysit an adult, much less a Goddess. Selene had to put herself together and Hilary balled her hands into fists to prevent her arms from shaking her mother.