season 2 | chapter 07

THE TRUTH WAS never easy

Albeit it could be liberating, most of the time, it worked as a catalyst for either a pleasant or worse outcome of a situation.

Lyla couldn't shake off the fact that she preferred to keep her lips firmly shut, instead of speaking. Her mother failed to admit she was pushing both her body and soul past the limits.

She deemed balancing two jobs right. She was doing everything in her power to ensure a life with less anxiety over the financial expenses, but Lyla couldn't find the worth in damaging herself in the process.

If only she could start earning money from the missions, things would have been different. She would have a valid excuse to convince her, even demand from her to quit working in Bliss, because she loved teaching at high school.

If only she stopped procrastinating and fearing of saddening her mother by confronting her, she could have gained something. Catherine Hart was a good listener as much as she was an ideal person to give helpful advice. She didn't have a one-track mind.

These were the predominant part of her thoughts as her gaze wandered over the cover of the midnight blue bordering to black book between her hands. Her thumbs went to trace the letters of Oliver Twist dripped in gold and she couldn't prevent the nostalgia washing over her. With all the academic duties and studying she barely had the time to read a story of her heart.

Lyla placed the book with care back to its respective spot on the shelf. She turned to her side where the stack of books on the desk lied, relieved it was decreasing bit by bit.

Detention was a definition lacking all elements of fun, but providing help to the library was something she didn't mind. She had discovered a few hidden treasures she made sure to note for Christmas, even though her schedule would be crammed due to the training.

Being a wizard had infinite perks, but there were some characteristic disadvantages that couldn't be ignored. No skipping training during the holidays was one of them.

The principal had requested Miss Harriet's presence—the librarian of the academy—to his office, leaving Lyla at the company of her thoughts, even though today was one of those rare occasions she found herself in concentrating on the task at hand more than anything, instead of the galaxies in her head aiming to lure her in.

She was lifting herself to her tip-toes when a figure caught her attention from her peripheral vision.

Lyla set the book to the shelf and turned to face him, her brows raising, her mouth curving to a wry smile. "If I hadn't known any better, I'd say you've been watching me."

Kai let out a soft sigh of amusement and leaned his elbow on the edge of a spot Lyla had yet to classify the rest of the books to support himself. "It's a good thing you do know better then."

Lyla balanced the weight of her body to her feet. "To what do I owe the pleasure of your coming, captain?" she asked, a spirit of tease lacing her tone. She was free of the hesitance of whispering since the students were in their classes and Lyla was lending a hand to the librarian to make up for her late arrival at Miss Indra's flying course.