season 2 | chapter 21 (iv)

Chapter 40 | Part 4

Chapter 40 | Part 4

"I HOPE YOU know what you're doing."

Another blow delivered with impeccable accuracy landed on his shield with a loud thud.

Kai hissed, a vile curse escaping his lips. He reciprocated the strike with a sphere of fire, a potent wave of brief pleasure surging through him. Getting to a rooftop would take more time than he anticipated, hadn't it been for The Shadows' forces doing everything in their power to delay their arrival at the castle to aid Selene.

Kai growled. The attack almost deactivated his defenses and her inexplicable shift in behavior didn't help.

"Your doubt is disheartening to say the least," he said.

His imagination of becoming a frontline fighter began to fade as the events of the night unfolded. Instead of fighting with all his might, The Shadows pushed him around with unfaltering perseverance. They were toying with him to drain his energy through a simple strategy: exhausting his guard so he could no longer retaliate.

Little did they know he was Kai Hudson. His spirit wouldn't let him crumple even if his body was out of commission.

Lyla supported her back against his. They had to wipe the field clear of the unwelcome intruders fast.

"It's not doubt, but rather a question," she clarified. The wild pounding in her heart muffled the external roars of the capital falling to the enemy. The suffocating smell of smoke engulfed their lungs, causing them to cough.

"Questioning is a form of doubt."

Lyla summoned her flaming whip and flung it on two monsters' ankles. They lost their balance, allowing the sizzling fire to spread through their entire bodies and burn them to ashes.

Pushing a strand of ginger hair out of her face, she told him, "As much as I love good word play considering I'm an aspiring writer, this is not the place or the time to get on my nerves, Kai. Look around you; a whole kingdom is under attack and you latch onto something I said that's not merely important at this point."

Kai's eyes shone with flaming determination. He unleashed a wave of fire, the wailing sound of the monsters turning to nothingness leaving a bone-chilling echo through the black, dreadful veil of the night. "It does matter to me when one moment you're fine and the next you speak to me as if I'm the worst person you've come across."

"You're misinterpreting my concern about the team and your imposing attitude on us as a leader just because the faculty set you one." She turned to cast him a mild glare from behind her shoulder, their eyes meeting for a short, palpable beat. "Well guess what? I'm not going to deal with it."

Lyla transformed and flapped her wings, ascending to the starless sky. She executed her part of Tyson's plan and scanned the perimeter to pinpoint possible locations her and Kai's convergence could provide maximum damage without destructing the capital furthermore.