season 2 | chapter 05

"IT'S YOUR FAULT we ended up here like this

"IT'S YOUR FAULT we ended up here like this."

Tyson spun his head abruptly, his infuriation with her overpowering the strain of every nerve in his neck.

Her audacity was horrendous. She was horrendous as a whole.

From day one, she did everything in the realms of feasible for him to abhor her. She mocked him for being less clever than her—which he was, no matter how much he didn't want to admit it—but each person had different qualities. One had an advantage, as well as a disadvantage, the other hadn't. If only Hilary could comprehend that, she'd have prevented various scenes from unfolding in front of the student body.

Nevertheless, Tyson was positive at this point she couldn't care less. Hilary's primal goal was to ascend the popularity ladder as far as intelligence and public self-promotion were concerned, without paying heed to stomping on him along the way as she did so.

It was where his rage stemmed from. There were plenty of other people who weren't in Hilary's good graces, but she had the courtesy to spare them with her aura of indifference, unlike him, where she was looking forward to setting a fresh argument on fire.

Tyson made an attempt to clear the haze in his mind, dispersing any remnants of thoughts that could create an explosion worse than the one Hilary tried to spark.

"You're delusional," he told her, his voice calm and steady.

Hilary ran a hand through her hair hastily. She placed her palms on her hips, her cheeks burning with injustice. "Really? Could you explain to me how I am delusional when you were the one who started a riot the moment I set foot in this room?"

"It could have been avoided if you knew what's best for you," he returned evenly.

Hilary crossed her arms, squaring her gaze with his. "I wouldn't lose an opportunity for your sake."

"Right," he scoffed, rolling his eyes. "You wouldn't lose an opportunity to lick someone's ass, one that's superior to you. Not to mention the 'I once had been Hudson's pet' in your future CV, a valuable addition."

Hilary let out a heavy, surrendering sigh. "Say whatever you want, Tyson. Taking on the task of a manager is something I wanted to try before—as hard as it is for you to believe—and now that a door opened, I'm not going to shut it just because you can't stand my presence."

Tyson's shoulders lifted with unease before they settled. She was far too rational with him, considering she was a ticking bomb whenever he was in her line of sight.

"There aren't any cameras here, Hilary."

Hilary had expected millions of outbursts spilling from his lips and this wasn't one of them. "What are you talking about?"

Tyson puffed his cheeks. She was going to weasel her tail out over his dead body. "Drop the act, Hilary. It's just you and me in this room."

Hilary stared at him, baffled, as if he was from another planet, impossible to make sense of him. "There's no act, Tyson."