season 1 | chapter 06 (i)

IN LIFE THERE were worse things than running late

It was a thought meant to console her, to alleviate the crescent guilt in her chest. Lyla found it hilarious how a simple sentence could knock the strength out of her knees, and not the good kind. The power of words could never be denied and disappointment stabbed her chest for not arriving on the predetermined hour.

Her complicated relationship with time had seen visible progress ever since she became a member of the Academy. The unbending rules forced her to move away from her comfort zone and not only show up on time but be present five or ten minutes earlier.

Before she joined Goldstream, she was reluctant to break the habit of arriving five minutes late. Considering other people, the difference wouldn't seem much, but inside the glorious Goldstream Academy, time was precious. Every minute was utilized, either by taking courses or a break to catch a breath and the faculty made it their goal for their students to laze around the least possible.

However, there were days she wished some rules could be bent.

Another metre she couldn't forget was the Academy not making exceptions whenever a rule was broken. Although there were a few teachers in the building who showed their blatant favoritism towards selected students, even then the rules were maintained.

Despite the momentary softness Miss Indra would express to her, an action far away from being called favoritism, the woman was as hard as steel, both in the terms of magic skill and strength in the soul.

She was the personification of bravery and Lyla admired her courage like any other student. None of them would alter their opinion, that of Miss Indra being a person from whom they could keep her positive traits while keeping in mind the main negative one; she made sure to distance herself from the students. She believed objectivity to be the solution to leading a class properly, while subjectivity would distract her from her purpose; to help her students reach the highest level of their abilities and exploit their prospect as upcoming wizards.

Miss Indra, a woman who stepped in her forties last week, was a person with an angelic face—a statement confirmed by her dark, golden blond hair along with blue eyes—and hard manners. She was in charge of a group of fairies who aspired to master the art of flying.

Flying itself was difficult, therefore she couldn't be resilient. No matter how much she wanted to do the opposite, she couldn't let Lyla get away without a small cost to her late arrival.

Miss Indra's words rang to Lyla's ears. You're late.

Lyla pondered how to respond to an unchanged truth.

She scowled. Magic invented so many things but hadn't found a way to create a freaking time machine, a useful tool in her case.

She wasn't interested in learning about prehistoric times or cause a major turn of events. She'd use the machine to go back a few hours, change the ring of her alarm and return to the altered present, the present where she wouldn't be late, without creating problems.