Chapter 26

Abrianna

"Mom, can we buy Alejandro some chocolates?" I tightly hugged my pink panther plush toy. My feet dangling from the high kitchen tool while mom was busy baking cookies. I asked her to make some.

"Yes of course, Abby. But can mom ask why? I thought we are baking cookies for kuya." Mom's voice was so gentle. Whenever I hear it, it felt like I was being lulled to bed. Even when we do bad things, her voice still don't change. I once asked her why because I once saw my classmate getting scolded by her mom because he pushed his sister, and she said, "I don't need to raise my voice just to discipline you, princess. Besides, I don't want to shout at you, baby."

I really didn't understand her answer that time so I curiously stared at her. "So, the mommy wanted to shout at my classmate?" I cannot help but asked. "But that's not nice, mom."

"No mommy would want to shout at their children, Abby. But some mommies tend to raise their voice because.. well, they just see it needed."

My eyebrows furrowed. Mas lalong hindi ko siya naintindihan noon. "I don't get it, mom." I pouted at her and she lightly chuckled. "You'll soon get it when you grow up, princess."

"I will?"

She gave me a sweet smile. "Of course, baby."

"Abby.."

"Abby.." I blinked a few times when I heard my name. My little flashback instantly faded and I found myself staring at mom. She has a sweet expression painted on her face. "Why do you want us to get kuya some chocolates?" She softly asked.

I suddenly remembered again what I did to Alejandro. Shame fueled me so I hid my face using my pink panther toy. My feet swayed back and forth. I knew mom won't get mad at me if I tell her the truth but I just really felt bad just by thinking about it. I bit my lower lip.

"I.. I ate all of Alejandro's chocolate, mom." Nahihiya kong saad.

Like what I've expected, she didn't scold me. Instead, she asked to know my side story. "Oh why? Is your chocolate box empty already, princess?" I nodded and looked at her with one eye. She sat beside me and slowly caressed my hair. "Why didn't you ask daddy to buy you some instead?" Her voice was so gentle.

I bit my lower lip. "I asked father but it was already late. I really really wanted to eat chocolate that night, mom, and Alejandro's chocolates are the only ones left so I ate them all."

"You didn't ask kuya's permission?" She tucked my hair behind my ear. Mahinahon pa rin ang boses niya. There was not even a bit of anger behind it.

"No." I shook my head. "that's why he's mad at me, mom." My lips quivered a little as I remember Alejandro's face when he saw me munching all of his chocolates. He was madly glaring at me. He even said he won't play with me anymore. It hurt me big. He's my favorite playmate. I don't want to play with anyone else. I want him only.

I wanted to tell mom more but my lips were trembling big now. My eyes started to get wet also. The next thing I knew, I was hugging her while sobbing on her neck. Her arms where on my back, gently tapping me. "I ..I don't like A-Alejandro ge-getting mad at-t me, mom." Every time Alejandro and I argue, I always end up crying. I don't like it. I don't want us fighting because it's hurting me. It's breaking my heart.

"You think kuya is mad at you because you ate his chocolates without telling him?" mom softly confirmed and I nodded. My sobs were getting louder. Hinayaan niya lamang ako. It took me a few minutes to calm down. She put a distance between us afterwards. She gave me a sweet smile then dried my tears. "You feel better now, princess?" I quickly nodded and wiped my tears away using my tiny hands.