𝐨𝐧𝐞

of memories

Rocks. Some were small, some were bigger. Some were so big that you couldn't see beyond them. Some were smooth, some were rough. I liked some of them. I didn't like that there wasn't anything else. I especially liked that I could move them around with my hands, without touching them.

I didn't realize that wasn't normal.

Warm caresses, gentle embraces. The sound of a gentle hum as dishes clanked together. A hearty laugh as the sun set. Watching clouds, pink and white, float against a rocky horizon.

These were the few memories I had of home. It was a nice life, a quiet life, but there weren't any ambitions here. Living in such a desolate place wasn't exactly the environment for much. I didn't fully understand what an unfulfilled life- a life a nothing- really was, until I saw the galaxy.

I left my home planet of Aleen at the age of four. Jedi Master Plo Koon visited us one night. He talked to my parents for a long time. I don't remember their faces.

Then I was off.

I was highly Force sensitive, they said. I didn't understand what that meant then. I do now.

I remember seeing two shadows waving to me as I looked out of the ship's window. They grew smaller, and the light faded from the sky. I think I cried.

None of that matters anymore.

of being a youngling

"Leena!" I shrieked, chasing a young girl through the gardens of the Temple. She has my lightsaber.

I remember Master Yoda telling us that our weapon is our life, and we musn't lose it. So I was off, feeling the wind against my long, blonde hair as I ran through the gardens, up into the hallways, and back into the common area where the younglings gathered.

I caught her off guard for a moment, using the force to send my tiny weapon back into my hands. I grinned at her, the feeling of victory coursing through my veins.

The room around us was quiet, with silent stares our way.

Master Yoda was here early, and with two boys I did not recognize.

Leena and I looked at each other, and quietly sunk back into the rest of the gathered younglings.

I didn't realize we had a meeting.

"Greetings, younglings," Master Yoda began, "My presence, unexpected, I know. With me, I have, Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi and young Anakin Skywalker. Joining you, will he be, in your training."

Chatter filled the room, some greeting the unfamilar Padawan, others talking about how late in our training the boy was coming in.

"We're already nine!" some exclaimed.
"Isn't that too old?" others pondered.

"Calm yourselves, you shall," Yoda continued. "Greet young Skywalker with warmth, as you do the others. Be back here in an hour, you will be, to start today's training."

After that, I never remembered talking to Anakin much. Leena and I had waved to him, but he always seemed preoccupied with something. I never knew who his friends were, but I did know that he tended to stay with Padawan Kenobi a lot, and was always greeted admirably by other Masters.

Except for one time.

I was sitting in the lush gardens on the East side of the Temple. This one was my favorite to visit. It had every flower imaginable, trees with long canopies shielding me from the sun, and never many rocks.

The few rocks it had, however, I was throwing into the horizon, using the Force to push them away as far as I could.

"What are you doing?" a voice behind me questioned.

I whipped my head around to see the young Anakin Skywalker walking towards me.

"I don't know," I shrugged, "Just getting some rocks out of here. This garden is far too pretty to have rocks in it."

"You don't like rocks?"

"Not really. My few memories of home are all of rocks. I like how much life there is here."

He laughed. "It's okay, I don't like sand."

"Why?" I pondered.

"Same reason."

I understood.

We talked about becoming Padawans, and what would happen if we weren't chosen. We were just finishing up our training as younglings, and if you weren't chosen by a Master by the time you turned 13, you wouldn't become a Jedi. Instead, you would stay in the Temple, doing archive work, much like Jocasta Nu, or other tasks, still important to the order, just not in combat.

As peacekeepers, it was essential to not train everyone for combat, and others chose to take a more simple path to life. All were important to the Order, and not to be looked down upon. As much as I understood this, I had a craving to do more than quiet work around the Temple.

"How long until you turn 13?" he asked.

"I have a few months. But I heard a few Masters are coming in next week to choose Padawans," I replied.

"I think I'll be one of them! Master Kenobi promised me he would train me when I came to Coruscant."

I wished I had the same reply.

"That's cool. I hope I'm chosen by someone."

He grinned. "With a Force push like that, you definitely will be."

We stayed out there for a few more minutes, watching the sun set over the glittering city.

I didn't see him again after that.

_

author's note:

a brief chapter, but i wanted to give a little insight into Lorelei's backstory and the introduction of Anakin into her life. the full story will continue after this. i have a few ideas, so bear with me as i make it come to life!